Bot foreplay

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Bot foreplay

1. Fred Stiening says:

The google chatbots use conversations from humans to guide their conversation – Eliza with a database and inference engine. It doesn’t improve my opinions of humans

2. JayMar says:

Eliza – wow that reminds me of the Commodore 64 Eliza written in BASIC and just a text-based “therapist.” It was fun to play and if you altered the BASIC code you could add some interesting responses. Back then one in every 5,000 homes had computers and when you had friends coming to visit you they would be amazed and would tend to think of you as a computer Einstein. The old C-64 was an incredible computer with only 39K. I remember going to Toys-R-Us and seeing hundreds of C-64 games and utilities. I still play those once in a great while using an emulator. I will grow old but refuse to grow up.

Back in my AOL days (1995ish), I would sometimes go into Eliza mode, mimicking Eliza. For people that have iOS devices, Siri will talk to you about Eliza. At the time it had psychiatrists in a panic that people might solve their own problems just be talking to a primitive computer program

3. RebelSansClue says:

I was watching this the other night and the transcript had “I don’t love you” written as “I don’t loveyou” (missing the space between “love” and “you”), the robotic voice pronounced the last word as LUV-ee-yoh.

I have a feeling this is fake.

I think the bots are using voice recognition to create the transcripts, but I’m not positive

You can interact with the clever bot at

My sense is the input it uses to create the responses has been filtered by humans and initally seeded with questions like “do you like video games?”. One of the more amusing parts was they did most of the Laurel and Hardy “Who is on first?” routine

• JayMar says:

Who’s on first is my favorite comedy routine of all times and every year my daughter in Austin gives me something related to this routine. Sometimes t-shirts and this year actual speaking figures. The team was composed of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello.

4. Fred Stiening says:

They seem to have pulled the plug on this