Ponder this

Found on a web site in Moundsville, WV

The irony is it has 18 million views

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Ponder this

1. JayMar says:

Very powerful and my pet peeve precisely. I went to visit my family this holiday season and at one point everyone sat down with their damn phones clicking away. I, went throughout the room collecting phones put them in a basket and forced people to communicate person-to-person, and threatened to throw the pile of phones in a wood chipper. Finally, being the diplomat I am I told them, you want your phone? YOU GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!

I have threatened several times both my wife and daughter’s telephones with a hammer and now require family nights to be w/o electronics. Don’t get me wrong I love electronics and technology but refuse to sacrifice our family time to this new god.

• TheChairman says:

Good for you JayMar!! We (wife and I) have never owned smart devices.

A phrase I coined several years ago: “Smart-phones make people stupid.”

That is not to say the technology is not useful, but people have become slaves to it. I’m reminded of a saying: “It is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.”

There must be a branch of study that could tell us something about why we covet and become addicted to electronics and non-verbal forms of interaction (if there is such a thing). This is an eye opener for me – I know what it does to grandkids in terms of symptoms, but I see now how pervasive this is.

• countess robini says:

listening now to first hour of glenn beck for monday, jan 9. he is discussing EXACTLY the issues you’ve raised, including how and why people are getting addicted to social media — and how miserable it makes them, good analysis of the millenials and how the “everybody gets a trophy” generation has really low self-esteem because — duh — EVERYBODY got a trophy. corollary is that they’re obsessed with social media because of opportunities to pretend they’re just fine and doing great and life is a bowl of cherries, lots of excellent insights; you might want to listen so you can understand what is going on with your grandkids and figure out how to help them

3. Fred Stiening says:

After I had my close call in 2009, I was befriended by a woman in Derby, CT. She had lots of issues, but the list of women who have been interested in me is very short. One day, I decided to advance the situation and invited her to dinner. On the way to the restaurant, as we were talking and I was hoping to have a meaningful conversation, someone texted her and that interrupted our conversation. It continued the rest of the way to the restaurant. That put a serious damper on my enthusiasm. Back in the analog days, that was the equivalent of talking to someone on the phone and they have call waiting and interrupt the call to talk to the other person.

Businesses also suffer from this stupidity. They’ll have a customer standing at the register with money in hand ready to buy a product, then answer a ringing phone to answer questions from someone who is clearly just wasting their time while I’m quickly turning into a non-customer.

4. JayMar says:

A couple of years ago I had a special meeting with and Israeli lady to discuss security for ACT for America. As we sat down in a restaurant her phone rang and she picked it up, I listened for a few seconds and determined it was not an emergency then I excused myself and told her I needed to wash my hands. I just walked out of the restaurant and left her there then refused to answer when she called me. Next day she left me a voice mail apologizing profusely, I just blocked her phone and that was the end of that. As it refers to cell phones I have zero tolerance for rudeness.

• Parrott says:

Yeah things sure have changed. I saw on another forum, today is the tenth anniversary for the iPhone.
      I have a i5 phone, the company bought it for me so I can be at ‘beckon call’ .
      I lose it all the time, let run down. I use it for email when I am on call. I look at the weather on it. Thats about it. My nieces in the 4th and 6th grade know a lot more about it than I do. they love to text my wife. Thats about all its used for.
      But I never answer it when I am meeting a customer or colleagues in my company or when I am at dinner with my wife. I agree with Jaymar, its rude.
      Supposedly they have those apps that will let you monitor the functions of your automobile through Bluetooth and ODB II connector. I think I might try that sometime.
      Otherwise I can take it or leave it. some people really love them.
      Parrott

• briand75 says:

Parrott – a note to consider. The connector you refer to plugs in under your dashboard and is connecting to your cars computer. Given that, a ne’er-do-well can now monitor your speed, your braking, your engine specs for RPM and all of the electronic and fluid systems. One (distasteful) insurance company uses a device that plugs in the same place to assess your driving style and set your rates. Imagine if you spend half the day speeding what surprise you would get in your insurance rates.

Just a note of caution 🙂

I figure at some point, your car will just issue a speeding ticket automatically and cut out the middleman. Of course, once it is a self driving car and you are not driving, I guess the car gives the ticket to itself for you to pay..

Indiana Jack the trucker mention that new regulations are going into effact requiring all trucks to have speed governors. He makes a valid point that if every truck has a governor all set to the same speed, it will be impossible for one truck to pass another and passenger cars will be lined up for miles behind two trucks going the same speed. Donald Trump will make truck convoys great again. Put the hammer down

• Parrott says:

Yes, you are right, point taken. thanks Briand.
          I remember reading that you should take that ECM out of the car if you are in a accident cause the Po Po has been known to download the information, even before the insurance company gets there.