PIT

One of the news accounts about the conclusion of the guy from Cleveland who killed a random old man live on Facebook mentioned a police officer had disabled the vehicle with a successful PIT maneuver, something I was not familiar with, probably because I don’t watch TV.

Assuming one or two of you are not familiar, here is what it means. When police are in a high speed pursuit, they pull up along side of the vehicle they are pursuing in the blind spot. The police car taps the rear driver side quarter panel, which sends the car into a spin. When done correctly, the police car doesn’t strike the car, and only has cosmetic damage. The target vehicle becomes inoperative. If you’re short on time, you can skip the first six minutes.

I’m not sure where this idea came from, but it might have been Richard Petty.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to PIT

1. TheChairman says:

Yep, the basic idea probably originated with NASCAR veterans, right there in NC.

Below is a video of a pursuit in Phoenix just 3 weeks ago, except the criminal/driver was ‘terminated’ after the chase (at 9:50). I was actually listening to reports on the radio here in Tucson, as it had become a half-day violent crime spree by the suspect.

The PIT maneuver was not used, just plain old ramming. You might notice -none- of the police cars ‘look’ like police. For instance, at 11:56 in the video, every visible car is a police vehicle, except the ‘Vette… Arizona DPS and Phoenix/Tucson have placed many more ‘stealth’ vehicles on patrol in recent years, plus special task groups for this type of situation.

Hey – they didn’t shoot that guy. The media told me police always shoot 🙂

In any event – I don’t remember that Richard Petty was that aggressive a driver. Dale Earnhardt was. They called him the intimidator and it was for good reason. Here is one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C79DaWrMD70

In this case, I would have been OK if they did. It’s the shootings like the state trooper in Charlotte shooting and killing the unarmed deaf guy for going 80 mph in a 70 – for not following verbal instructions – that set me off

• briand75 says:

Agreed on the hurtful shooting – completely uncalled for and lawless. I was referring to the media’s relentless “black lives matter” B.S. where it is always “hands up – don’t shoot” mantra.

That was good, But ‘The King’ would not have went up on the sidewalk, : )
    Do you guys remember back in the early 90’s I believe, King Richard was being harassed by some ‘dic-weed’ on I-40 between Greensboro and Winston. ( may have been 85) This was before the eight lane upgrade.
    Well, Richard sent him off into the median with just a little nudge, Ha Ha. Eye witness reports the other car was tailgating and getting in front and hitting brakes.
    I bet that ol redneck didn’t know what hit him,
    I remember when that was on the news it was right after the King retired. Yeah Richard could do that ‘PIT’ maneuver pretty dam good.

Who was the cop in the silver Tahoe? He didn’t need to hit the ‘stopped’ and pinned in truck. That just cost the taxpayers money.
    I wonder what the dufus was running from? Like his iForce Toyota was going to outrun a Dodge Hemi. (wink)
    best

• briand75 says:

Now I came to NASCAR at the end of the King’s career. I was watching the newcomers like Bill Elliot, Dale Earnhardt and Rusty Wallace. I noticed that although the other drivers respected the King – they didn’t cut him much slack on the track.

All back when NASCAR was fun to watch 🙂