Meet the real Mr Carlson

His channel is full of totally nerdy electronics things…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Meet the real Mr Carlson

I have a new appreciation for the phrase “geeked out” πŸ™‚

I barely remember my engineer days – did some very similar tuning on the transmitter for my college station. It was FM though. Have to check Mr. Carlson for some FM transmitter stuff πŸ™‚

The first video that I stumbled into was him showing how to replace leaking electrolytic capacitors on a circuit board keeping the soldering iron dwell time to a minimum.

I’m pretty confident he does not work for the geek squad at Best Buy

• briand75 says:

His knowledge base is simply phenomenal. I am impressed at how easily he imparts the electronics knowledge and how easily understood. I chuckle at the term “potato slicer”. My teacher in electronics used that term all the time πŸ™‚

His explanation of directional AM antennas was a bit abbreviated, but he is a transmitter guy, not an antenna propogation guy.

• briand75 says:

Ah – have not listened to that. Antenna theory is black magic! I was lost in training – I struggled with modulation’s effect on RF propagation. That is – why would an AM signal travel line of sight while FM signal travels distance (going through things)?

All should attenuate as a factor of the distance squared – which at least seemed to be true.

Love those old Simpson meters. I remember my old man had a VOM made by Simpson.
    It was good. I only have digital meters. I guess they are accurate.
    electronics sure have changed over the years.