October, the Eighth Month

What is that crashing sound in the distance?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to October, the Eighth Month

1. TheChairman says:

When in Rome… use their calendar. That crashing sound could be many things: housing sales, an Airbus A380, the NFL ‘product’, Puerto Rico’s future, or perhaps Niagara Falls.

Sales of Billo Riley’s new book, “Killing Time”.

I am hoping for the NFL Product. A crash that is well overdue.

4. Fred Stiening says:

Tom Petty may or may not be clinging to life.

What are your favorite memories? It is hard to forget Talladega – what a heartbreak…

5. Fred Stiening says:

AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) is going away in December

The remnants of AOL are owned by Verizon

Thanks for that Fred. Most interesting is that I don’t think I would have known about that if you had not shared it- the real news to me is that in 2017, no one considers this news.

Particularly striking to me was that there was no mention of Yahoo messenger, it and the remnants of yahoo are also owned by Verizon. Rather than leave it alone, Marissa Mayer made yahoo messenger worse and worse and drove away many/most of its users.

If Verizon had planned any future for Yahoo messenger, it could have simply announced that AOL messenger logins would now become yahoo messenger logins. Microsoft something similar when they bought Skype – the MSN Chat accounts were migrated to Skype.

Now if only Verizon would destroy Huffington-(Puffington 😉 ) Post, the liberal media remnant of AOL it owns.

6. Fred Stiening says:

Wendy Carlos remembers 9/11

A very serendipitous encounter indeed.

Civilization is a fragile jewel imbedded in the shapeless mud. It’s much, much easier to slide or even crash into chaos, to destroy, than to build and painstakingly create. It’s less demanding. An idiot or savage can bring it about, unskilled labor. The Laws of Thermodynamics define the concept of decay and ultimate chaos, and give it its name: Entropy. I’ve often joked: “Entropy gonna get us all.” And too soon, too soon. It’s the probable death of the Universe, all organized molecules and energy dissipating slowly and constantly, until a uniform random grayness without form, content or life remains. But I leave that depressing angst to Alvy Singer in Woody Allen’s “Annie Hall.” Our more immediate entropic decays are enough to worry about, enough to fill our plates.

7. Fred Stiening says:

Moderately priced restaurants are going out of business in the San Francisco Bay Area

The $14 an hour minimum wage in San Francisco draws away the employees from outside the city

8. Fred Stiening says:

Special delivery!

9. Fred Stiening says:

North Korea may have attempted another nuclear test

10. Fred Stiening says:

The homecoming football game for Catawba College vs Wingate is tied 24-24

Final Score – Wingate 27 Catawba 24 🏈

• TheChairman says:

I think my old high school had more students than Catawba…

That was a conscious choice – my parents and I agreed that I would do better in a private religious school with small classes, not a public University with classes taught in auditoriums by teaching assistants – with so many students that you never knew more than a handful. I probably remembered about half of the people who showed up, although only a few I recognized by sight alone. It was my 40th reunion.

• TheChairman says:

Aha … I wondered why you posted the score, figured perhaps one was your alma mater. The comment on the size of the college was not a ‘dig’. Indeed, my first thought was nice small classes of 15-30 people and a talented faculty that actually teaches (multiple) courses. Is it strictly undergraduate?