1st annual radio haiku contest

The haiku contest is inspired by the Countess and I watching this video of Robin Palley, who the Countess worked with at newspapers in Philadelphia. Robin went on to be one of the early participants in WebMD during the late 1990s. She is currently quite active in the haiku movement.

The venue for this video is the edge of Harleigh Cemetery in Camden, New Jersey. Back in the day, Camden was a prestigious location for rich people to be buried. Some of the Countess’s ancestors are buried there. Most relevant to the video is the fact that renowned poet Walt Whitman is buried there as well as haiku author Nick Virgilio

If you aren’t familiar with haikus, they are a poetry form from ancient Japan. In proper form, a haiku has three lines, with the middle line being longer than the first and third – typically 5-7-5 syllables. Somewhere, usually at the end of a line, there is a “cutting word” that connects two different mental images.

Here goes:

Late Night Radio
“Caller, what is your question?”
Larry King falls asleep

She loves you yeah yeah
The secret truth – John is dead
Girls weep silently

The needle vibrates
Fourty five times per minute
The record breaks hearts

Your turn.

The winner will receive 1 million Streaming Radio guide volunteer points.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 1st annual radio haiku contest

CC, The Chairman
    Brand75

Sporks, WordPress
    Polls, trolls but sans Streams
    And Fred Stone

3. Fred Stiening says:

Just to clarify, the subject matter should be radio, not this Guide

4. Fred Stiening says:

Radio Towers
    Blinking softly in the night
    Keep truckers awake

• TheChairman says:

I really like this one Fred, excellent! Nice double entendre with ‘blinking softly’ linking the other two lines.

Yeah, it’s good. If blinking softly fails to keep them awake, the one about the Chupacabra will “west of the Rockies”.

If I didn’t have bad vision, I easily could have seen my life’s work being driving trucks in the middle of the night. My family didn’t have a car until the late 60s, so a lot of my youth was spent riding across America in the middle of the night riding Greyhound and trailways buses. That was a great gift from my father…

CB Radios
        Silent Since the 70s
        Analog static

5. Fred Stiening says:

No-load mutual funds
    Football team scores a touchdown
    Bob takes the next call

6. Fred Stiening says:

Chupacabra fright
    Moon of mars will destroy the Earth
    Desert Darkness fear

My “Radio” official entry:

Iggy Pop,
    Pretenders, Florida-
    Georgia Line.

I screwed that up and I should know better. The first part was actually part of a StreamingRadioGuide poll that I did a while back. It should not have been Iggy Pop but H. Nilsson as in Harry Nilsson, Son of Schmilson (and friend of the Beatles).

The idea was the sound tracks of a popular morning, noon and afternoon talk show (Chris Plante, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity). The corrected version is:

H. Nilsson,
      Pretenders, Florida-
      Georgia Line.

8. TheChairman says:

A triplet:

BEEP! Weather Alert!
    Severe storm is imminent
    Take precaution now

BEEP! Weather Alert!
    Follow the yellow brick road
    Tornado Warning

BEEP! Weather Alert!
    To announce the storm has passed
    There’s no place like home

I like that, having lived a decade in Oklahoma one year

I like it because I had worked in Topeka for a while…. and because it breaks the 3-5-3 rule. 😉

There was news last week that Twitter is doing a trial and allowing some users to tweet with 280 characters rather than 140. The trial excluded Japanese and other Asian languages because they found that most tweets in those languages didn’t even need the 140. With only 26 characters, English needs more characters per word that Japanese. (BTW, Spanish needs more characters than English.) I don’t know if that applies the same way when comparing spoken Japanese to spoken English, but until told otherwise, 3.5-3 seems a little bit tight.

German would need 640:

Laut den Kommentatoren des Cable News Network traf Donald Trump mit dem russischen Präsidenten Wladimir Putin zusammen, um in den E-Mail-Server der Präsidentschaftskandidatin Hillary Clinton einzudringen

• TheChairman says:

Thanks, but as Fred indicated, the traditional pattern is 5-7-5.

Wow. You’re right. I see what I did. I had looked at one of the examples he gave and remembered that the middle line was 2 more than the first and the last line was equal to the first. I saw “Late Night Radio” (3) and 3-5-3 entered my head and I never looked back. Thank you for pointing out my error.

The concept is a bit muddled once you leave the Japanese culture. The Japanese language is based on characters rather than phonetic spelling with discrete syllables. That makes it hard to translate a haiku between languages, yet retain the exact format. Many of the Japanese ones are based on nuanced meanings of words and the subtlety of the Japanese culture.

The super advanced haiku writers try 3-5-3, but that requires serious effort.

O’er the streams we go
    A neocon guest tonight
    Calls from cellphone ring

Nighttime open sky
    What fun it is to drone
    Strong strong strong strong strong