Domestic Content protection in a global community

The BBC is having an identity crisis and has decided it can’t compete with commercial radio.

The BBC is funded by an unpopular TV tax – how do you sustain that model competing against streaming video to devices with no tuner?

But it goes deeper – “He [BBC radio head James Purnell] believes that the challenge to BBC radio from technology is not as urgent as the threat to British television from Netflix and others, where he ‘can see a world emerging in which children can only choose American content.’”

Utter nonsense. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube and a dozen others offer close to everything that exists. His complaint should be to look why Bollywood movies are more enjoyable than BBC episodic TV about the dull lives of the British aristocratic parasites.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Domestic Content protection in a global community

No gloating from my toward those Brits forced to pay their TV tax for content they don’t want… at least not until I can stop paying my cable company $4.99 per month for ESPN and its liberal ABC News. Ditto for the MSNBC and CNN that I am forced to pay for.

In fact, I’d trade the MSNBC, CNN and ESPN fees for the BBC episodic TV. Where is Hiawatha’s Consumer Protection Agency when you need them? Oh, yes, they are really the Liberal Protection Agency.

Fred – I get the feeling you didn’t care for Downton Abbey or any of its spin-offs 🙂

BBC is (of course) government television and must be funded from the tax larder. They used to have ITV – which passed for non-government (independent) television. The UK is a very huge liberal/progressive pool of humanity. I am sure the BBC won’t have any trouble maintaining its viewership. The BBC dude should just relax and watch Netflix – I recommend “The Tudors” which is the story of the early days of Henry VIII.

That is exactly what I had in mine. I was introduced to Season One, Episode One by my nephew and niece gleeful about the story about how they were conniving how to acquire their dead relative’s wealth.

Just a brief family update: After moving out of Charlotte, my nephew and his neurologist wife moved about 3 hours away, they separated and are now divorced. He seems to now be in a relationship with a woman with 3 children of her own, creating a household with 7 children.

My niece is now working as a temporary doctor (Locum Tenem), taking time off between 6 month contracts. As of yesterday, she is in Romania on her way to Hungary to see the sights. I am curious if she knows Hungary is in the midst of an angry debate over immigration…

One of the most innovative shows in the 1960s was Dr Who. The famous theme song was a brilliant use of technology. Delia Derbyshire made the most futuristic sounds with the most simple tools – and is largely credited with creating electronic music splicing loops of magnet tape long before the first synthesizer existed.

We need to find a way so American children won’t listen to British music or watch British TV

Sounds like an idea for a mult-million dollar tax payer funded grant to study this issue.

As a little kid, I would often come home from school and put on the local UHF stations for afternoon cartoons. Sometimes my grandmother was visiting and would tell me that he had no TV when she was my age. I asked her what she did after school and I will never forget what she said.

She and her friends would go outside and do somthing she called “playing”. Maybe NPR and PBS can do a series on it. 😉

In all seriousness, the other brilliant thing about Dr. Who is about the Doctor himself. When the scary science fiction show was an unexpected success, the star actor wanted more money. Rather than pay up, the script writers wrote into the script that he could morph himself into different people… so the next season had a different lowly paid actor without the ego problem of the first. ; ) ,,, they were “open border” before it became fashionable on the left.

• TheChairman says:

“The Prisoner” was one of my favorite series. Of course, I didn’t see it until the 1980’s (being too young in 1968).

Downton Abbey seems to produce a love/hate reaction from people… it’s actually a spin of Upstairs Downstairs (ITV). We’ve watched it twice; partly because the acting is decent, well written sub-plots, and no sex/violence. The other reason is because there are very few shows about that particular era, WWI, and the after-effects.

Often, you’ll see the same UK actors/actresses in many different series. It is much more of a ‘guild’ in UK and they seem very thankful to get the opportunity & work, unlike their overpaid & spoiled counterparts in the U.S.

We have no TV, and only stream (Amazon Prime, etc). Almost everything we watch is produced outside USA.

The hallmark of liberal ‘programming’ is Sesame Street.

TheChairman, you may also wish to explore http://view.yahoo.com

It is free (advertiser sponsored) and is what had been the free content of hulu.com. I just checked and it Verizon (new owner of Yahoo.com) has kept the free content intact.

When hulu.com decided to go to paid subscriptions only, Yahoo thought it would resurrect its business by buying the advertiser-sponsored programming to augment the programming it got by spending multi-millions on Katie Couric.