Importing jobs from Mexico

Charlotte may reverse its position that it only wants to grant tax breaks to companies that will relocate here that pay high wages (> $45k) – they may give Stanley Black & Decker $185k to move production from Mexico to an existing facility they already operate in Charlotte.

The cynic in me says they are preparing for “immigration reform”, at which point they will import the workers as well. There are definitely areas of Charlotte with large groups of Spanish speaking immigrants who were not here 30 years ago – now competing for jobs and housing with the poorer people born and raised in North Carolina (also being squeezed out by the people moving here from New England and Chicago)

This entry was posted in Collapse of America, North Carolina, US Economic Recovery. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Importing jobs from Mexico

Funny how the Democrat leadership has convinced that poorer people that flooding the market with hard working low skilled foreigners to keep wages down is in the best interest of the poor people that are here legally. There is no doubt that it will help keep the yardwork fees down for the McMansion owners, but those are not the core Democrat voters.

As long as they get lots of goodies for not working, that keeps the resentment down. I still remember a shoving incident on the El platform in Evanston during the commute between a middle aged Hispanic woman and a black woman. There were no words exchanged and no obvious provocation. It was at a time when the North Side was starting to become more diverse. My assumption was they had a prior history with each other, but was my first sense that there might be tensions. If you listen to WVON, the black citizens of Chicago are well aware that food service, housekeeping, etc jobs have hired Hispanics (and more recently Asians) and displacing blacks

• TheChairman says:

Art, I have a question for you. I’m aware that one of your specialties is legacy code, but wondered if you’ve seen a shift within your realm of employment? i.e. DBMS, coding, IT, etc.

Have you observed a noticeable influx of non-citizens filling or applying for skilled positions (“high tech”) in Chicago or NC?

Specifically, foreign H1B visa workers competing for jobs. e.g. Professional ‘coders’ here from India, Asia, Middle East, etc.

My background is in engineering, but I’m not in the job market.

Wow, I’m gonna get in trouble now!

Some boring details for driveby blog readers. My legacy skill is on computers made by a defunct computer called Tandem (not to be confused with Tandy or Tandon)

They were the rage in the 1980s – widely used by banks, GM, Ameritech, McDonalds, Kraft, CBOT, Chicago Merc, NASDAQ, NYSE. In the early 1990s, my black friend who now lives in Chicago decided to open a company doing contract programmer placement for this skill. Everywhere he turned, he was getting “no thanks” because companies thought they could get $15 an hour programmers from India. If you were good, Americans could earn North of $100/hr.

I don’t know of a case where companies had a successful outcome. Between the time difference, language issues and cultural disconnects, things never click (on top of the difficulty of verifying education and work histories). They threw away years of market opportunity and millions of dollars. That’s part of why I wound up in Chicago – they had just kicked out the Indians who were breaking more than they were fixing.

That being said, when dealing with web server people or back end data analytics, those meetings would typically be all Indians with an American nominally riding herd over them (H1Bs on site in the US)

At NASDAQ, we had an eclectic mix. They also had tried to replace the Tandems using Indians working remotely with all the whiz bang software tools and code generators. That collapsed when the finished product couldn’t get over 5 transactions a second, an order of magnitude slower than the system it was replacing.

So the Tandem folks got handed the ball around 2000 to put together a replacement for the 1970s emulation of a Sperry Univac machine that had no possible upgrade path. The programmers included several good Indian Guys, and several good Eastern European guys. I pushed for the code to be written in C, not the proprietary language (TAL) used on Tandem since 1975 – with the eye that eventually Tandem (now owned by HP) might become a dead product and need to be ported quickly to something else. While it was written in C, they failed to take (or understand) my advice to write an abstraction layer to separate the application code from the Operating System it was implemented on.

The employees working there were at most lukewarm about learning C. After the new system was implemented, everyone that I had worked with was let go. Nasdaq was taken over by the folks who rn the OSX exchange in Europe and the development I think moved to Oman.

It was a well understood fact that American companies did not check education background with Indian colleges. I worked with a consulting company that started checking and they reported a shocking percentage of fraud.

• TheChairman says:

Okay, so it was (is) worse than I suspected…

My experience with ICANN (in another post) was confirmation that the problem remains. Except, I think many companies ‘outsource’ to India instead of bringing them here on an H1B.

I’m aware that some IT employers fail to verify credentials, especially when getting a ‘bargain’.

My concern is the new push for H1B visas and how it will impact pay scale for American techs.

Problem isn’t too bad in engineering, but still present to some degree. A few depend upon the competent engineers who, in turn, are a bit reticent to complain to management. (“racist!”)

Well, Bill Gates and Google want to really increase the numbers.

In my simplistic way, I divide the Asian workers into two groups – those who want to move permanently to America and become Americans – working on accent reduction, American idioms, food and customs – the second group who are here to make money for a few years and return “home” (which will make them very rich in their home country) and have contempt for this country.

The former I embrace, the latter can kiss my clear channel tattoo.

The City Council did approve the tax breaks 9-2 (Republicans voted no)

Giving tax breaks to a firm that is already in your city – to hire more people – can be a slippery slope. The company shuts down Department A and adds jobs to Dept B and them transfers people from A to B and profit!

I am opposed to Senator schumer and the ‘Dream Act’ and any variation of said act.
    FYI Huckabee.
    Just wanted to get that out there
    Parrott