- TheChairman said We're using Windows 7 and MX Linux here.
- TheChairman said Parrot – I'm here. Fred just mentioned Google was indexing the site again, so I decided to take a look and noticed there are more comments trickling in. I will try to check in here much mor...
- Fred Stiening said Wikipedia seems to have removed the station website links for some reason
- Fred Stiening said It looks like the affiliates of English language China Radio International have gone silent
- Fred Stiening said Not a huge surprise, but many radio stations are officially silent. This is the time when Low Power FM stations could shine, providing community information. Many just gave up.
- fhiggins said Jim Bohannon feed works fine.
- Fred Stiening said I need someone to poke around on the web site. I have added a consent front-end, consistent with the 20 year old minimalist formatting. The data is horribly out of date but might be somewhat functi...
- Fred Stiening said Clear Channel /iHeart is buying WWRL-AM in New York City to be part of its new Black Information Network. WWRL had been the NYC affiliate of Air America, pushing aside its historic role as the voice...
- Fred Stiening said 30ish years ago there was another Cafeteria operator called Morrison’s Cafeteria. Every place we drove we would look for one – they tended to be in malls, which makes it hard to make a profit....
- Fred Stiening said I have a sense the Karens might be ready to wage war on the board president and he needs some backup
- RebelSansClue said Congratulations! Our condo board appears to be made up of Karens. I suspect the president would like me to disappear or die. That's OK, the feeling's mutual. 🙂
- RebelSansClue said Sad. Living in New England, I've obviously never hear of them. Sounds like a good place though. Would have been nice to visit. You're probably right about the locations just reheating stuff....
- Fred Stiening said Thanks for asking. I paid to have a mover to pack and move everything here. They unloaded but did not unpack. The hardest thing was the countertop microwave (that I don’t need) was inside a...
- RebelSansClue said I haven't listened to Beck since Covid started. I am glad to see he's back to more 2008. I applaud his efforts to reach across the aisle, but you can only get your hand slapped so many times...
- RebelSansClue said Assuming you can *get* 1,000 subscribers. Podcasting may be the new radio, but I think it's also the new blogging; everybody and their grandmother has one. Just like the blogs, most podcasts have...
- RebelSansClue said Gotta love linux. Been using it since Mandrake in the early `00's. I use Linux Mint now and love it. Still keep a Windows 10 virtual machine for the wife 🙂 I tried to update my Mom's laptop...
- RebelSansClue said I'm sorry (again, still) about your divorce. Even though it may be for the best, it still sucks. At least you have a place of your own now. How's it working out? You unpacked yet? I'm a...
- Fred Stiening said Because I can 😁 When I lived in the apartment, the "free" $80/month internet service was WiFi-only on a mesh of routers. While I have a USB device to let Windows desktop connect to WiFi, Linu...
- Fred Stiening said That has been clear for at least a decade. If you are not doing things that add value because people are interacting with the show in real time, live radio (and its 20+ minutes of commercials per hou...
- Fred Stiening said On the personal side, this week my divorce from Countess is final, although she continues to live in the Charlotte condo I bought for myself in 2013. One of the biggest disappointments of our brief ma...
- Fred Stiening said Cumulus just sold off most of its towers to raise $200 million in cash
- Parrott said sure seems that way, 'RebelSansClue'. Kind of annoying. I wonder how many affiliates that Rush Limbaugh is down? No Friday night Lights, well yeah there is , I bought new LEDS for my de...
- RebelSansClue said Lately, it seems that podcasting is the new radio.
- RebelSansClue said Good grief, that's pathetic.
- RebelSansClue said OK, I have to ask. Why are you using an XP system now?
- Fred Stiening said Cumulus Radio is selling almost all of its radio towers to raise cash.
- Fred Stiening said Bill Mack, one of the original overnight trucking shows, based in WBAP-AM died July 31, 2020 at age 88. He had underlying health problems, like many who catch the Covid-19 virus
- Parrott said Woo Hoo ! XP Rides again. Make sure you have SP III. Is Woo Hoo allowed ? Hope you are doing good Fred ! Guess who ? yes, Its that races-Parrott LOL No I am not racist, but I do like...
- Fred Stiening said Wor-am in New York City has dropped whatever they had in the evening and replaced it with rebroadcasts of Mark Simone. If I was to list my five most favorite people on radio, Mark Simone is definitely...
- Fred Stiening said The academic world was lost decades ago to partisan politics One might also notice how deep the hole has become that heavy.com is the one who dug this out.
- Fred Stiening said For the first time in like forever, I am logged in using my fragile Windows XP system.
- Fred Stiening said Just in – Clear Channel revenue down almost 50% due mostly to loss of sports, Entercom down 52% When America loses its Sports, nothing else really matters
- RebelSansClue said But..but….but..but….but SCIENCE!!!!!! Seriously, what is wrong with people?
- Fred Stiening said Take a look back at the web site. If you good at haxxoring, you might figure it out.
- Fred Stiening said He had cancer in 2006. Even if he had recovered, he probably fits the "underlying serious health conditions" risk factor
- RebelSansClue said Was his cancer in remission? I heard that he still had stage 4 cancer, so it was most likely the cancer that killed him. But hey, hospitals get more money if you die from Covid, so what the heck.
- Fred Stiening said And Pandora and LiveNation and TicketMaster
- RebelSansClue said Ugh. I only listen to SXM a few times per year, and I can still notice it's getting progressively lamer. So now we'll have portions of CC, SXM and Spotify under 1 roof? Lovely. Maybe they sh...
- RebelSansClue said I love it! I like how you're wearing the mask below your nose too. That'l get the local Karen's in a tizzy! 🙂
- RebelSansClue said Great to have you back. Even better to know you're happy. We've missed you! I have Frontier (formerly AT&T) DSL myself. It's cheap enough and good enough that I can do what I need t...
- Fred Stiening said So I am in my new home, have a new iPhone SE, and AT&T vDSL (25/5) The bumps in the road – T-mobile LTE inside the place is weak. Unless the AT&T goes out, I can live with that. My...
- RebelSansClue said I'm glad you're getting a new place; one that doesn't have a manager looking over your shoulder. Hope the closing goes well.
- Fred Stiening said So yesterday I got the 30 day notice to vacate and termination of my lease. I had already told the (interim) manager that my primary care doctor strongly advised me to move out, so all of us are in a...
- TheChairman said Parrott! I was hoping you might visit the old virtual stomping grounds. Yes, we're back in the Peoples Republic of Michigan… we delayed our return until May 1st. We took a route through...
- Parrott said well Fred you havn't missed anything. WFLN is playing country music from the 70's chaos. well sorry about your divorce. Nothing new here, work still sux, as usual. I have missed yo...
- RebelSansClue said Good Lord. Sounds a lot like the condo board at my place. They're like miniature dictators. Praying for you.
- TheChairman said Hi Fred, thought I'd check the blog. I assume they let you back in after your haircut? Did they give you any grief? Your apartment 'infractions' describe my home life, except for the lo...
- Fred Stiening said The apartment manager of my 55+ active adult apartment complex fits that description She has threatened me with eviction for bad housekeeping. Among other reasons: – I eat too much junk food ...
- RebelSansClue said Thanks for the info! I think I understand a little better. I'm still glad the blog is back. I need SOME semblance of normalcy whilst everyone is losing their damned minds.
- Fred Stiening said Very few people run web servers on Windows. The problem is mostly if people are using the php scripting language. A deliberately simple example. Say I had a php script that returns radio station in...
- Stale FCC data
- K&W cafeterias files for bankruptcy
- Getting Caught Up
- People on the Internet lie
- Herman Cain has died
- Clear Channel, the final chapter
- Recognize my face?
- Barry Farber has died at age 90
- Earthquake / tsunami in Russia – 7.8
- Resumption of service
- Rush Limbaugh Update
- FWIW Department
- The Closing of the Internet Frontier
- To Infinity and Beyond
- The end for Harold Camping
- Following in the Footsteps of National Socialism
- Stock Trades were meant to be free?
- Pumpkins and Beer
- While you were distracted
- Septa is not just about public transit
- How Stupid is Joe Walsh?
- Podcasting explains why Amtrak is so bad
- What makes music popular?
- Improved All FCC Licenses Query
- Julyin' to yourself
- Does Jesus love Salem?
- Improved Stations by Frequency
- Playing country women fairly
- EMF has a new leader
- Searching for McGouda
- Iconic heritage AM station fades away
- Amazon Prime Day
- Live from Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- Revision to metro areas
- Buh-buy Mapleton
- About the Guide►
- Contemporary Christian Music
- FM Translators
- Global Instability►
- Collapse of America►
- American Journalism
- American Politics►
- Fascism comes to America
- Newspaper decline
- Police State America
- the Invasion
- US Economic Recovery
- Collapse of the EU►
- Energy Supply
- Fear of Nature
- Free Trade
- Internet Insecurity
- Trump 2017►
- War and not War►
- Police State America
- Radio Biz►
- America Loves Sports!
- Deceptive Advertising
- Local Radio Events
- Low Power FM
- Music Radio
- Player Metrics
- Public Radio
- Radio News
- Radio Owners►
- Station Sales / Transfers
- Streaming Royalties
- Talk Radio►
- The FCC►
- The Music of Radio
- Unique Stations
- Totally random stuff►
Monthly Archives: February 2016
In the ongoing series of posts about people who might become important in radio that you have never heard of… There is a cluster of radio stations, mainly in rural Oklahoma carrying The Gospel Station. Some are owned by individuals, … Continue reading
If you want to catch the United States off guard, that would be the time to do something. You may remember earlier in the Obama years, FEMA and the FCC conducted a mandatory test of the national Emergency Alert System. … Continue reading
Charles Koch of the demonic Koch Brothers fame just wrote an op ed for the Washington Post praising (but not endorsing) Bernie Sanders Charles Koch: This is the one issue where Bernie Sanders is right I never would have guessed … Continue reading
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/02/19/467266572/oh-nuts-u-s-pistachio-growers-worry-about-competition-from-iran Quick, put up a wall! Why are pistachios red? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/30/what-are-red-pistachios_n_6570944.html
The governor of North Carolina is calling the Legislature into special session to vote on delaying North Carolina’s primary, currently scheduled in Mid March. The reason is the Voting Rights Act – a Federal Court threw out the existing maps … Continue reading
https://www.rt.com/news/332454-saudi-arabia-big-drills/ Saudi Arabia has moved aircraft to Incirlik Air Base in Turkey, near the border with Syria. Saudi Arabia has stated clearly this is to topple Assad. In the event of a shooting war, Turkey has a lot of vulnerabilities, … Continue reading
Bernie will win Minnesota without breaking a sweat. Minnesota’s Democratic party has deep socialist roots. There has been a major development there you are not likely to see on Fox News. The President of the Fed in Minneapolis is calling … Continue reading
Religion News (Asian) Indians are becoming increasingly important to the Republican Party. One of the two Republicans on the FCC is a Hindu child of immigrants. Governor of South Carolina Nikki Haley is as well. Bobby Jindal was Governor of … Continue reading
Batter up! Guess that might be mentioned at tonight’s Republican debate