IHeart loses $279 million in second quarter

That’s a rate that would be over a billion a year, enough to pay for a 9 mile Light Rail extension

IHeart just filed lawsuits against the lenders who tried to prevent paying off bonds held by one of iHeart’s board members.

This entry was posted in IHeart Media. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to IHeart loses $279 million in second quarter

Thats pretty wild setup you have CC ! I have never tried the iheart app. I did put the VLC on my iphone. I have a hard time with it. I think computer and get frustrated with it and this phone is well a iphone. My 11 year old niece shows me stuff on it all the time, LOL

I loathe the PSA’s ! Grrrrrr! Id rather hear a real commercial than a crazy PSA!

I like VLC on the PC and on Linux because it will play almost anything, but it has the same User Interface across operating systems, so that makes it non-intuitive every where. 😉 I’ve never installed VLC on any of my phones.

I know you like a lot of talk shows – most of them are available with almost no commercials as “podcasts” on iHeart’s app. They are really audio streams on demand – you need to be on the internet to listen and can not download to save or play later.

I will add that my sound quality in my car went way up by switching to iHeart from SiriusXM. SirusXM had issues many times when I was under a bridge, driving along mountain roads or roads lined with tall buildings or trees. I could not even listen when my car was in my own garage. iHeart has a longer audio buffer and I seldom have those audio issues. On occasion I will momentarily lose the signal if I am on a country road but never an issue on or near highways.

A lot of it technology. Why listen to commercial radio when you can hear any song on demand for free on youtube ?

iHeart is on the right track with their Android app. Agreed that their browser pages suck with the Adobe nonsense.

I have “cut the cord” with SiriusXM a few months ago. I now have a auto bluetooth device connected to my car stereo. When I turn the ignition switch, the bluetooth automatically powers up and connects to the phone in my pocket. When the phone is connected to that specific bluetooth device, its Llama app launches the iHeart radio app and the iHeart radio app will automatically start streaming the last station I had been listening to – all hands free with no interaction. The iHeart streams are unlimited with T-Mobile, they do not count as data usage. I am a happy “cord cutter” thanks to iHeart.

How well targeted are the ads? My general opinion of ads on radio is the ads being irrelevant to my life are as big a problem as the quantity, especially the nanny state PSAs

That is a good question and it varies by station. In general, when I listen to alternative music stations, the DJs often do live promotions of music events and even local shopping and that makes it onto the iHeart streams.

Talk radio tends to have more pre-recorded commercials and they are often substituted for PSAs. I heard one yesterday about tax preparation saying “April 15th is just around the corner” I have heard that one regularly since January on the same small town station.

I find that iHeart actually does much better than most on the PSAs – they often replace the recorded commercials with a one minute flashback of top forty songs during different years in the 1960s and 1970s and I enjoy hearing 5-10 second snippets of popular songs that I grew up with.

The station that does rock flashbacks the most is KENI 650 AM and I find I like to listen to it for talk radio. They are in Alaska and have very few real PSAs or commercials, so I listen to them a lot.

Can we blame Bill Clinton for deregulating radio and giving use crap radio owned by 3 or 2 corps ? They brought it on themselves. I hate the iheart adobe crap popup when you hit one of their stations.
    hell salem radio doesn’t even play anymore. It always says:
    “There was an error starting the web player. Unable to leave a ‘Turd’ on your device.
    Please clear your cache and reload the page. They suck ”

Just go to Wet-N -Wild in FLA and take the bonds to wipe your ( beep).
    $279 million, Thats Donald Trump Lotto ! Not Iran C-130 Lotto, but almost !
    Parrott

Only partly – the 1996 Telecom Reform Act had bipartisan support – it was a lot more than just radio being deregulated. IHeart’s troubles really spun out of control in 2008 when they decided to “go private”, probably in large part due to Sarbaines Oxley criminalizing accounting disputes, like assigning a vale to what a radio station license is really worth.

If we had a “do over”, raising the ownership caps slowly could have avoided the wild dash to bid up the values of near worthless stations