- Fred Stiening said This may be the end of progressive talk radio https://thehill.com/homenews/media/444232-bill-press-to-end-his-daily-radio-show (The WordPress database was clobbered again, so a few comments were lost)...
- Fred Stiening said Grumpy cat has died https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/business/media/grumpy-cat-dead.html
- Fred Stiening said I can’t wait for my free cheese!
- CC1s121LrBGT said ..but one less father. The father of KFI’s Tim Conway Jr. has passed away. Better known than the son, the son has a good local show: https://kfiam640.iheart.com/featured/tim-conway-jr/ “...
- Mark said Alma, with her 900 hats and 40 point victory margins, looks like a winner. You should be well represented.
- Fred Stiening said My taste in trains goes more to complex switching yards, train dispatching, interlockings, and more the business of freight rather than passenger trains. Google News told me about the Big Boy restor...
- Fred Stiening said I MAY have completed my move to Pineville NC. You MAY have heard there was a special election in the 9th Congressional district of NC. Because Republicans have no party discipline, something like 8 pe...
- Mark said I know you have a passion for trains. Recently I rode on the California Zephyr from Osceola, IA to Denver, CO with my 9-year old son. On our return home to Minnesota, I saw that the Curbside Classic w...
- Fred Stiening said When I was living in Flint Township, the voters of Flint decided to vote for Mayor based on skin color, not ability. Even to my somewhat naive street smarts, it was obvious prostitution and drug dea...
- Fred Stiening said I had Disqus on here for a few weeks. It was interesting to see how it works. I was a little concerned because the way icons were handled could in theory confirm the email address of the commenter...
- JayMar said Look at Disqus Conservatively Speaking. Everyone cuts and paste articles from other sources and everyone participates in the discussion. It’s quite entertaining, informative, and it allows for y...
- CC1s121LrBGT said Diversity is an oxymoron: https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bs-fe-zontv-wjz-bubala-babj-20190506-story.html
- CC1s121LrBGT said The Democrats have not changed their playbook in 100 years. from 1915 to 1960, they flooded the northern cities with poor people, mostly blacks, from the south by offering very generous welfare benefi...
- TheChairman said The problem with Flint is embodied in a single snippet from the DC article: “In November 2017, Mays was sentenced to a week of community service for pawning his city-issued laptop nine times. As...
- TheJerseyDevil said I might, but I like the monthly “general” blog post as a way to post links to stories because it can encourage discussion and commentary on the articles. But the “In the Radio News...
- ¿Hablas Cumulus?
- Mother, MAY I?
- The Problem with Flint, Michigan
- In the radio news…
- Sri Lanka
- The Changing Radio Audience
- Rap – the new “Country” music
- Would you buy stock in a “new” iHeartRadio?
- The end of WBT-AM
- Creeping censorship
- Bruce Williams has died
- The Green Great Leap Forward
- Entercom, the 900 pound gorilla
- System rollback
- Cumulus bails on New York City
- How Doc Thompson was killed by a quiet zone
- Google neutrality?
- The New Edge
- IHeart/Clear Channel bankruptcy gets final signoff
- State of the Union
- The Nordic Gender Paradox
- Inside Public Radio
- More money for bike trails
- Bird Box Challenge
- New Year brings New Changes
- California high speed rail update
- Tom Taylor to retire at 70
- This may be final post
- Health update
- Weekly Standard to fold?
- More year-end syndication changes
- NBC Sports radio to end most daytime syndication
- Miami Herald unloads on Jeffrey Epstein
- Censoring critics of censorship
- Laura Ingraham and Medved leaving talk radio
- About the Guide►
- Contemporary Christian Music
- FM Translators
- Global Instability►
- Collapse of America►
- American Journalism
- American Politics►
- Fascism comes to America
- Newspaper decline
- Police State America
- the Invasion
- US Economic Recovery
- Collapse of the EU►
- Energy Supply
- Fear of Nature
- Free Trade
- Internet Insecurity
- Trump 2017►
- War and not War►
- Police State America
- Radio Biz►
- America Loves Sports!
- Deceptive Advertising
- Local Radio Events
- Low Power FM
- Music Radio
- Player Metrics
- Public Radio
- Radio News
- Radio Owners►
- Station Sales / Transfers
- Streaming Royalties
- Talk Radio►
- The FCC►
- The Music of Radio
- Unique Stations
- Totally random stuff►
Category Archives: Uncategorized
According to insightradio.com, Cumulus media has applied to the FCC to allow “up to 100%” foreign ownership. I remember thinking at the time of the Cumulus bankruptcy that for Carlos Slim, coughing up a billion dollars to take over Cumulus … Continue reading
The month for everyone with a mother.
I lived in Flint Township in the mid 1980s working for EDS (contractor) at Buick City, and returned to Grand Blanc, on the South side of Flint in the mid 1990s, to retire at age 40. I frequently spent time … Continue reading
On the main page, you may see a new section called “In the Radio News”. I have a pretty simple method to clip URLs from news stories. If you perceive that this blog is losing critical mass, your perception is … Continue reading
Before jumping to conclusions, reading about the Sri Lanka civil war of 1983 can be helpful. Women wearing suicide belts was an innovation of the Tamil Tigers, who were motivated by anti-British sentiments, as after the country became free of … Continue reading
In the end, survival in radio requires revenue, not “ratings”. For commercial radio, that means advertising revenue. For non-commercial radio, that means donations or government handouts. Some radio owners try to supplement revenue with concerts, carnivals, and community events. Countess … Continue reading
Independent (.uk) Facing a social media campaign to push a rap song to the #1 hit on the country charts – despite getting no air play on country radio – Billboard is in a very bad position. Having a rap … Continue reading
Part of winding down the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Clear Channel / iHeart is that iHeart is going to have an IPO. By creating a liquid market in their common stock, debt holders who accepted the debt-for-equity swap can exit … Continue reading
Not the license, but the original building that housed the station. The earliest radio stations had an odd collection of owners competing to use the new technology. Pioneer owners included newspapers, department stores, religious groups – and in the case … Continue reading
Most recently, Facebook has banned links to Zero Hedge https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-11/facebook-bans-zero-hedge Google/Youtube is giving a bizarre warning on a video by China uncensored Clicking on the link for “Why am I seeing this?” reveals why a video that has nothing to … Continue reading