Compare & Contrast – Classic Country

Let’s listen to an hour of Classic Country… (Station is actually more like variety country)

WZQZ-AM

– funeral home – plan ahead
– local jewelry store
– CBS Network news (turkey,Ferguson,Obama,Shopping,EU/Google
— Staple’s, Dick’s sporting Goods, Jarod’s Jewelers

1) she’s in love with that boy and going to marry him and run away from this one horse town
2) it’s a man’s world, but women make the world go around – honey, I’m going do you right tonight (Eddie Rabbitt)
3) you left me for another guy – if you want to find me, I’m under two feet of topsoil (Brad Paisley)
4) the rocking chair doesn’t scare me as long as I’m rocking with you
5) I’m glad I didn’t know how it would end (Garth Brooks)
6) Baby Jimmy Brown has grown up and he got married in the chapel deep in the valley and then he died (Three Bells)
7) I love all women, but not enough to marry one
– feature with Dolly Parton promoting Dollywood and her new album

– Georgia Power has energy saving tips
– cops are cracking down on people who don’t Buckle up – use them or we’ll shoot you in the back and kill your dog
– Georgia Farm Monitor TV show keeps farmers informed
8) that guy in the picture is just someone I used to know (Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner)

9) that’ll be the day that i die when you leave (Buddy Holly?)
10) when I say I’ll love you forever, that’s a promise I will keep
11) she is beautiful and her Daddy let us walk down the aisle when she turned 18
12) I thought I was over my broken heart, but it is hard to love again
13) I’ve got too much on my heart, I can’t take the pain
14) Here you come again (Dolly Parton)
– Georgia Optometric Association reminds you Obamacare pays for free eye exams

This entry was posted in Radio Biz. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Compare & Contrast – Classic Country

1. TheChairman says:

I’ve never been a ‘fan’ of C&W, classic or otherwise… but I do know what I don’t like. Being a musician and having learned ‘theory’ helps me to ‘appreciate’ many genres.

Frankly, I don’t like the ‘new pop-country’… it seems so mediocre and ‘formulated’.

Our local Tractor Supply Co. plays it (likely via satellite feed to all stores) a lot. The chorus of one particularly grating song which always seems to be in the rotation is: “You drive my truck.” Along with the off-gassing from all the Chinese products, the music selection at TSC is usually the final straw which drives me out of their stores.

The video (Porter & Dolly) reminds me of a movie we watched a month ago, partly for entertainment but mostly out of sheer interest, titled: The Road to Nashville (1967). Truly a fascinating peek at country music, quality performances from talented artists. I was a bit surprised that ‘Flatt & Scruggs’ were not featured (Beverly Hillbillies theme) along with a few others, but of course the movie had a budget and time limit.

A week or so afterwards, we watched another movie with Jerry Reed (in his usual likable persona) featuring some different artists, Grand ole Opry, etc. (late 1970’s)

Both movies were a good retrospect as far as being time capsules of the musical skill, harmony, and talent of the ‘classic’ country genre… but I also like hearing Patsy Cline and other crooners, in addition to Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Freddie Fender, etc.

The two things that stuck out about the “hot” country was at least half the songs focused on getting drunk and/or high, with “love” and “sex” being used as synonyms. No mention of family, children, working at a job or religion.

Porter Wagoner died in 2007 at age 80. Dolly had been very young when she became a star. That brand new Blue Smoke song leaves me empty. It’s just one more anti-male screed. “I left him and he doesn’t even care”.

Maybe the real question to ask there is “why?”

If you have a chance to see the naked pictures of Dolly, take a pass. You’ll be scarred for life. Some things are better left to your imagination.

You also hinted at an important problem ahead for Cumulus, which is clearly betting its future on “Nash”, their generic national Country music brand. What “Country Music” means varies enormously by region. Texas “Western” music about shootouts in Laredo and Cowboys roping cattle is very different than West Virginia coal mines or Carolina Bluegrass.

The first thing that shocked me when I arrived in Lansing Michigan in 1982 was scanning the FM band and hearing Country music on several stations. I was unaware at that point about the Great Northern Migration of the 1920s and how many of the auto workers came from the South and still went back “home” when the plants laid people off for extended periods

• TheChairman says:

I didn’t know there were naked photos of Dolly, but it’s not -too- surprising in light of things… maybe that’s ‘progressive’ country.

One thing I forgot to mention: I do not consider Garth Brooks to be ‘classic’ country. In fact, he helped usher in the country-rock era which moved country music into arena/stadium size concert performances with big light-shows, fog machines, etc. “This ain’t yer daddy’s Grand ole Opry… this is NASCAR Country.”

Funny you mention Lansing in 1982, that’s the year I left (born & raised in the Grand Ledge & Waverly area). Yes, lots of C&W stations, but several pop/rock stations as well, and that’s where my musical interests were at: heavy metal, jazz/fusion, classical.

Oddly enough, I saw my only C&W concert at an FOP charity event at the Civic Center: the Mandrell Sisters and Mickey Gilley. Both very much a ‘crossover’ style, not at all what I had expected. Perhaps chasing the heels of Alabama, among others?

And yes, the notion of ‘country music’ in Phoenix is different from Austin, which is different from Kentucky, Michigan, etc.

Most of that list I wouldn’t consider “classic” – their web page says Classic, which maybe just means they throw in an occasional Johnny Cash song. I don’t think Little Johnny Brown is Country at all – other than Roy Orbuson wrote it apparently.

I’m trying to get my head around what Nash is – it definitely isn’t a simulcast. I think it is Blair Garner (formerly of Clear Channel) doing a live morning show, then each Cumulus station going to a computer run voice tracking pulling in songs specific to that market the rest of the day. Mostly it is “branding” – but nowhere as coherent as iHeartRadio putting on big concert events

I went to Lansing to work at Oldsmobile – they were revamping the plants to try to deal with the problem that car bodies (Body by Fisher) consisting of body rails were no longer used in the design of cars – replaced by integrated frames with just a stamping on the bottom. Having split assembly and trucking half finished cars across town was a less and less viable option. I guess what we did lasted another 20 years or so – the plant has been torn down and replaced with a much smaller efficient assembly plant. From there, I went to Flint and Buick City. Same problem, but adversarial unions. (see “Roger & Me”). That plant is now a big vacant lot.