Pokémania

image

Be very scared!

This entry was posted in Pokémania. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Pokémania

1. Fred Stiening says:

McDonald’s Japan has a deal with The people behind Pokémon. Gyms are the combat arenas and every MdDonald’s in Japan is a Poké gym. The danger here is that the value of the Gym is the exclusivity. If every other business is a gym, they become worthless.

One of the major gyms in my area is at a Chick-Fil-a in one of the largest shopping centers in Charlotte. It is a gym because they have a fountain outside and it is accessible to the public. Once you know what to look for, Poképlayers are not hard to spot. To throw a pokéball, you make an upward swipe on the screen.

If you need a map where to find this in action, here you go

No account is necessary – in the lower right is the “center the map where I am” if your device is gps aware and you give permission. Clicking the blue symbols should show you the name and picture of the pokéstop

2. Fred Stiening says:

James K Polk Museum – who knew?

You would never notice it driving by. Maybe schools take kids there. Without looking at Wikipedia, what was memorable about the Polk administration? Exactly! And why is his museum in Pineville? Even more obscure. The claim is his parents once owned the land. He wasn’t born here, didn’t live here… Admission is free – I can probably catch lots of Pokémon. Museums are pokéstops by default. Museums that are in a huff about poké zombies out in the parking lot miss the point. This is free marketing. Run a holocaust museum? Rather than being offended, invite them inside and educate them. The hard part of running a museum or store is getting people to your front door. The rest is up to you

Watch out crossing intersections on foot 🙂

So far, I have restricted myself to using my car. I already see a problem 😉 when stopped in a parking lot, it is important to put the transmission in Park. Twice I found my foot coming off the brake and the car starting to move. The iPhone is the mark of the beast! 👻

I sense a partnership opportunity for Garmin where the Pokéman characters suddenly pop up on game players’ GPS and shout a loud noise to startle any driver that is not paying attention to the GPS screen…. similar to the feature they have to pop up and warn drivers about hidden police traffic cameras, but of course more fun. 😉

Having had it in the car today, that’s exactly what it does. There is a distinctive sound that says “you are in range of a Pokestop”, and sounds for the Pokemon. It’s easy to see why it distracts hard core players. Expect a change very soon to squash the sounds of the person is going faster than a threshold speed

4. Fred Stiening says:

Pokémon is getting me outside, much better for me than candy crush. I discovered the local post office branch moved in June 2015.

I visited Freedom™ Park yesterday. The last time I was there was in 1976 when Gerald Ford came to give a speech. Telling that story drew scowls of disapproval from my niece and nephew who were not even alive then. I was still in college and went with my parents. Either my memory of the park is wrong or it has changed a lot. It looks very little like what I remember.

My car said it was 102°F today. Nothing if I was in Arizona, but I’m not. Shortly after noon, the power went off for about 4 hours. Duke energy blamed it on a marauding tree.

5. Fred Stiening says:

It looks like part of Pokémon’s problems may be a bottleneck with Google two factor authentication. I created a new gmail account without two factor authentication and logins are going much smoother

6. Fred Stiening says:

To paraphrase Yogi Bear, Pokémon’s servers are so overloaded that nobody uses it anymore