Visiting CLT

This got busy enough that I’m going to drag the comments here, I hope

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Visiting CLT

1. Fred Stiening says:

February in Charlotte

• countess robini says:

We went to the aviation museum in charlotte this day. Saw the plane that became the miracle on the hudson. Seriously beat up. Here is a pix.

Also for those of us here who are baby boomers : a pix of the inside of a helicopter used during the war. How many nights did we finish dinner as kids — back when families ate together — and turned on Brinkley to see helicopters in rice paddies?

• countess robini says:

After touring the museum fred went outside to a patio area to watch planes take off and land. He gave me fifteen minutes to shop in the conveniently located gift shop. I bought postcards, a fridge magnet and dessert. Here is pix.

• countess robini says:

They are cookies. Shaped like planes. Fred insisted his was a dolphin. Then a shark. Then something unmentionable here in a family-friendly blog. Like a good countess i just ate my cookie neatly (no crumbs on the table cloth) without any references to aquatic creatures and then said how delicious it was.

• countess robini says:

They salvaged many items from the plane and have put them on display in the museum. Here is captain sully’s briefcase.

• Parrott says:

Awesome, sounds like so much fun. I like airports , when I don’t have to fly. Mrs Parrott has departed & returned to CLT from London, UK back in 06, 07. I know it was at-least 12- 15 times . Thats when she worked in private industry. It was annoying the TSA wouldn’t let me go down to the gates with her to leave.
          I am catching up on the blog here, I have been away at a secret plant location in Eastern NC all last week. That was annoying.
          I’ll tell you all later where it was, ( rural).
          You all are some of my best friends. I am honored to be able to talk to you all here. I need to read the website update again, I didn’t understand it. I’ll be back in the morning.
          best
          Parrott

After the gift shopping was done, we went to the runway overlook that has been there at least since the 70s. It is free and very popular. It takes little time to realize how important the airport is to Charlotte, and how American Airlines dominates the airport.

The Houston to DC refined products pipeline goes right by the airport, allowing American to buy the jet fuel at competitive prices.

We watched the runways with the Air Traffic Control streaming on the Internet, with a list of arrivals and departures – so you could get a pretty good sense of what was going on. There was a large storm blowing through and some planes were rerouted around the storm.

With the sun falling low into the sky, we hurried off to a local eatery, then Countess drove us home after dark.

• countess robini says:

Yes i did! One of the reasons i was MIA here in b!og land was that i had cataract surgery right before thanksgiving and the same operation on the other eye shortly thereafter. Now fred and i can have date nights and stay out past six p.m.

• briand75 says:

Cataract surgery can provide an amazing improvement in quality of life. My Mother-in-law had surgery on both eyes and she can see things now that she hadn’t seen in 20 years or more. A wonderful blessing from a somewhat scary procedure. I hope your recovery is going very well, Countess!