Getting involved

Someone has pointed out – and they’re right – that I haven’t been clear enough about what I need and how people can be helpful.   I don’t need money – since all of this web site and most of the data was gathered by just me, what I need is your time and interest and occasionally saying “thank you” – something much more precious.

Things that would greatly increase my satisfaction level and desire to keep this thing going [stipulating that some of this list is hard to see how to do currently]:

register for an account if you don’t have one – this will probably become a requirement in the future.   I won’t be emaling you ads or “spam” you or selling a list.    I might type an email to you if you’ve done something I don’t understand or I need to explain some quirk of the way things are tested that you might have misunderstood
– set the topic for programs you are listening to so other people will know what Glenn Beck is talking about today
create a “poll” to bounce ideas off the other visitors and get a sense of who “we” are…..  vote in the polls – just avoid the urge to answer “I knew it, you’re a commie racist!”
– set the “name” of the local morning shows on the smaller talk stations
– try to identify the “Unknown” shows
– test the links for the music stations to make sure they still work
– help find web sites for stations where I haven’t been able to find one, or find stations that just recently started streaming
– become a fan on Facebook
– read and comment on the blogs, even if you disagree with me 🙂 – just stay to the issues and don’t bring up the topic of sheep
– tell your friends and neighbors
– once you have looked around a bit and understand what this place is, volunteer to do some of the above in a more systematic manner – but don’t turn this into your life, please 🙂

This entry was posted in The Front Door. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Getting involved

1. TheChairman says:

– set the topic for programs you are listening to so other people will know what [insert show host here] is talking about today

I must comment on this one, because I think it’s generally a waste of bandwidth and space, and confusing as well. It’s not possible to keep ‘topic’ data current and timely.

For 99% of SRG, the ‘Topic’ is outdated and irrelevant within a few hours of airing.

When surfing the SRG and looking at the ‘Topic’ (i.e. Tester, Date, synopsis) one gets the impression the date shown is what will be heard (an old show) by clicking the link.

Unless EACH topic is updated EVERY day within a few hours of air-time, it is rather pointless… it only makes sense if listeners will hear the specified show topic & date.

A better use of the space/field might be: genre keywords, station’s ownership/URL, or just volunteer credits (tester, date tested, comment on stream quality, quirks, etc).

Just my 2 cents…

Oh yeah, and a big THANK YOU (Art) for your time, effort, and dedication to SRG!

2. WesternMA says:

…and my two cents. If I’m looking at a new show (new to me) the first thing I do is look at the past comments to get an idea of the usual banter from the host and callers. It gives me an idea of the slant of the show.

• TheChairman says:

Yes, but I see you are a veteran of SRG… you know what ‘topic’ means.

I’m looking at it from the standpoint of a typical (new) user, wherein the ‘topic’ + show date leads a surfer to believe thatis the date/show they will hear.

The Synopsis, displayed in black italics -above- the Topic, is what I look at to get an idea of host/banter. Topics change daily, so it is useless IMO.

Here’s a few:

Topic from jbi001 (Mar 21, 2011)
      The Big East and their performance in the NCAA tournament

OLD NEWS from a month ago, we already know who won NCAA.

Topic from sibbil (Aug 29, 2010)
      Where the heck does all that tuition money go (colleges/universities)

OVER 6 months old, what’s the relevancy to today’s show topic? Zero.

• WesternMA says:

OK…your argument is valid. Since I would hate to see the “topics” go away, do you have any suggestions to make it more relevant?

• TheChairman says:

Well, in another data view (testing page?), I see there is a chronological list of comments for a given show (upper right corner)… so perhaps a link to those comments.

There has to be something useful Art can insert in that space… as I said earlier, maybe leave out the topic and just list the tester, test-date, and stream quality, delay info, keywords, ownership (Clear Channel, TRN) etc.

For example:

Tested by: WesternMA on April 27, 2011 at 15:34
          Remarks: 30 sec video ad before stream begins”

Maybe link the ‘Remarks’ text to the show comments?

This is one of the hurdles testers need to figure out – WesternMA has this sorted out now having done so much testing 🙂

Topics are about shows, testing is about streams on one specific station.

If I’m testing WABC and listening to Rush Limbaugh, if I add a comment “The volume on WABC is too loud” as a comment on the Rush Limbaugh show (which shows up on the other 230 stations that stream the show), that creates considerable confusion.

Many shows in radio are non-syndicated – they only are heard on one station -but those are probably 1% of the people who come here. The “norm” when you’re listening / testing is you’re listening to a show, not to a station.

Especially for people in the radio biz, that’s very uncomfortable. And nobody is going to care what your station’s frequency is, either.

A couple things to clear up. The Topic can ONLY be set (unless you really dig deep) while the show is on the air LIVE. Since many shows are aired on delay, that topic may be of interest to someone coming home after work and choosing between listening to Beck or Limbaugh.

There are two main reasons for the topics – the most important is to differentiate this from sites like Radiotime which are just static databases dumping stuff out at you. There is no sense that there anyone behind the web site or anyone around paying attention. By having current topics obviously entered by humans, that shows that someone is home.

The flip side is – if people stop entering topics, it proves that nobody is home.

So right now we have a circular argument – “I don’t enter topics because nobody enters topics and they all look old”.

The second purpose (which now doesn’t matter) is Google pays more attention to web sites that appear to have constantly changing content and ranks them higher. Since I deleted the site from Google, that’s no longer relevant.

Oh – and there was a third reason for topics – to detect “false testing”. If someone tested Dr Laura and after 14 seconds typed “Dr Laura is answering user phone calls”, there is a high probability the tester actually didn’t listen at all.

• TheChairman says:

I see… the topic only appears in the header row of a given show, with the sub-set of stations/streams (for that time-slot) below it.

When I listen (for the sake of listening) there are specific areas of the country from which I want to hear the local news, so I do -not- select just any stream for a given show… I look for an active station in the state/region of interest. Just a different take on SRG usage.

When testing schedules, I pick one show and go through the list of stations for that time-slot. Considering the long breaks they are taking at the top & bottom of the hour (among many others), there is a limited window of talk-time in which to verify a show/stream. It would be nice if I didn’t have to wait 40 seconds to report a test result… I could cover more stations.

3. radiojunkie2 says:

Art:
    It’s wonderful you decided to resurrect the site. I just celebrated the resurrection of Jesus and now…..Streaming Radio Guide……..what a week!! I will continue to assist as before, but I will make a conscious effort to do more. Further, to solidify my sincerity; I will never bring up the sheep again. Thank you for all you have done and will continue to do. I truly love your site.

4. MrC_5150 says:

How does your point system determine the number of radio stations that are viewable on a page? Currently I have an output limited to 148 stations.

hey Art: since the budget talks are going on, how about maybe a button on the talk page for the debt clock ? like a clicky link? http://www.usdebtclock.org/

This is my absolute start page:

I mean if you think its important, its wild to look at and then become depressing and scary to watch. I mean only if you want to? Its completely up to you. I mean I ‘know’ its up to you, its your site. no pressure, you know what I mean .
    Thanks for the consideration man !
    Best Regards
    mr. parrott

That’s a bunch of numbers 🙂 They do get overwhelming pretty fast.

Of course, they are approximations and estimates. One number that is interesting is the OPEC oil number. As I’ve written before, John McCain (and others) constantly exaggerate that number. Most of our oil doesn’t come from OPEC – we get it from Canada, Mexico, Nigeria and Venezuela – and Brazil is likely to grow soon. The $600 billion a year that we spend with people who don’t like us is closer to $300 billion, less if the price of oil doesn’t stay at $100 – unless you think Mexico doesn’t like us.

The business about the “Unfunded Liabilities” is pretty bogus, and is a scare tactic. Let’s make it personal and the “why” becomes clearer. Let’s say you’re 40 years old and maie. You have $5000 in the bank. You sit down and say “Gee, I may live 35 more years. My mortgage is $1000 a month, my food is $200 a month, my three kids are going to college… (etc…) my total expenses are $4000 a month. Eek! The rest of my life is “unfunded” by $1.68 million ($4kx12x35). But you’re not dead. You have 25 years left to work, and your expenses change over time. When you retire, you aren’t going to commute to work every day. After the kids move out, you don’t need a 4 bedroom house. You will ikely have other sources of income in the future that don’t exist yet (your rich uncle dies). We don’t even know if the planet will exist in 35 years. If you loved your wife, you would buy her $3 million in life insurance to cover your unfunding gap. You do love your wife, don’t you? While you’re in the mood, can we tax the rich some more, please? It’s not like they can’t afford it.

So the assumption about unfunded liabilities is based on the assumption that from this moment on, there will be no economic activity in the entire United States for the rest of time to pay taxes in the future.