I <3 Chicago

I spent most of today going to downtown Chicago and out on the Blue line and seeing if things have changed in 20 years. I was pretty overwhelmed with emotion realizing how much I hate Connecticut and why – and how I wasted 10 years of my life.

Now I’m here and it just feels so right.

Some pictures are in order:

20120721-225946.jpg

Lake Michigan looking South

20120721-230036.jpg

RibFest

20120721-230126.jpg

Sunrise (something I don’t see often)

20120721-230309.jpg

Mmmm Beef…

20120721-230421.jpg

Zipcar – I already joined which leaves no doubt I’m a socialist

20120721-230548.jpg

Famous condo towers along the Chicago River

This entry was posted in Art's Big Adventure. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to I <3 Chicago

1. JayinKitsap says:

Best of Luck to you in Chi Town. In the summer when you want to get away from it all, think Door County in Wisconsin, a great place to be back to nature.

I am west of Seattle in Kitsap County, we have a good amount of steak, but my favorite is Dunge Crab, we brought in 25 over the weekend so have an endless supply of crab cakes. Back to Steak after Labor Day.

I do hope Streaming Radio Guide can make the move with you there, but also understand it is a hobby.

Good luck
    Jay

Have you seen Bob Newhart yet ?

There are alternatives to Morton’s as well – Ruth’s Chris for one, but it’s a big adventure – you will enjoy downtown. I love the photo of Marina City (used to be called that in the ’70s anyway). Say hello to Jane Byrne, Harold Washington (oh – he’s dead) and Richie Daley. Remember that politics in Chicago is a blood sport.

As for Connecticut? I lived in Meriden for about a week – hated every second of it – left for Georgia.

4. prboylan says:

Kudos to you Art (Fred). Those of us who are in our 50’s rarely get a chance to make a clean break and make a fresh start with a new job in a new city with no strings attached. We’re usually too constrained with family/marriage/kids/pets, houses that can’t be sold, churches and community ties, etc. But the most common constraint is: Too much dang crap stored in the basement or attic accumulated over 30 years that can’t be moved! 🙂

I visited Chicago vacationing as a teen, and also back in the late 80’s attending professional conferences. I found it an invigorating experience- there was always something exciting to do or see. But of course I was never there during the winter months. I hope the city hasn’t changed too much. Perhaps you can do your small part to help prevent it from going the way of Detroit.

5. ct7aja2 says:

In the first pic you can almost see my house, 3 hours away. Just curious, why did you hate Connecticut? I’ve always enjoyed visiting Chicago and feel it is a lot cleaner, nicer, safer etc… since I was a kid during the seventies. But I’m curious if anything has changed with the departure of Mayor Daily. Think you’ll blog about it?

I created a new post category called Art’s Big Adventure.

Why I’ve grown to hate Connecticut – high food prices, high taxes, rampant corruption in government, opposition to any kind of new business or housing, many missing franchise food outlets, indifferent attitude (at best) to strangers, rampant drug issues (that I may not get away from)

New York City (about an hour and a half away) is not Chicago. I had no trouble finding a public bathroom in downtown. Subways/El in Chicago usually always have seats – not seeing how many sardines you can squeeze in a can.

6. foyle says:

Go Cubs! This is our year…I mean, uh…Just wait until NEXT year! Next year is bound to be our year.

7. HPaws says:

The very best to you. Don’t you just love a good Morton’s? I too look forward to being back around energetic, thoughtful, self-starters.

Their reputation precedes them – what I love more than Morton’s is that I can go out my front door and be there in 45 minutes riding public transit.