American Girl

Speaking of being out of touch…

I looked at the restaurant list in Water Tower Place in Chicago – if you’re not familiar with it, Water Tower place is a vertical shopping mall in the center of the Miracle Mile on North Michigan Avenue. It’s probably worth mentioning that a significant portion of the tourists are Asians, since they still have real money.

Welcome to “American Girl”. It’s the strangest concept I’ve ever seen.

Presumably before you arrive, you have purchased your authentic American Girl Doll for $110 For your daughter along with a few hundred $$$ worth of doll outfits, along with matching outfits for your daughter. Her doll is in for quite a treat – getting its hair styled, trying on new outfits, having its picture put on an issue of American Girl magazine, watching its “mom” eat a tic tac toe pizza and drinking a glass of pink lemonade, and appearing on the exclusive Celebration Screen.

For lunch, that’s $22 per person plus tax and gratuity.

So what do you think this means?

This entry was posted in Art's Big Adventure. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to American Girl

It means there out to be a new law – obviously they are not checking citizenship papers before issuing the American Girl credentials to foreigners. Next thing you know they will be getting in-state tuition…. oh wait. Nevermind.

I checked the American Girl FAQ

It doesn’t ask / answer the question I have.

Are your American Girl dolls made in America?

3. Nidster says:

Aside from the $3/day sweat shop comment this looks very interesting and American to me. At, or near the top of the list for young girls is the irresistible urge (almost instinctual) to Mother. Word to the wise, as a man who would be intent on marrying a woman who would be a wonderful mother to his offspring, the absolute #1 attribute she would have is the ability to be a good mother. So, somewhere along the course of the courtship ritual a man needs to determine whether or not she has a doll collection, that is in ‘Collectible’ condition. I am not kidding.

Heck I thought this was a thread about Carrie Underwood.
    Parrott

If there was a comparable restaurant in China called China Girl, I wonder how it would be different? Would the dolls be made in Bangladesh? Would there be an “outfit” for her to dream to be a Foxconn worker living in a semi-prison assembling iPhones?

Carrie,