Sidewalks!

20130430-181216.jpg

Yesterday was good walking weather. Probably half the reason I made this move was to be in a neighborhood with sidewalks so I can rebuild my strength and recharge my Vitamin D. If I go to a park by myself to walk – a fat guy in his 50s by himself – the logical inference is I belong in the sex registry.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Sidewalks!

1. Nidster says:

I know everyone is happy to have sunshine rather than the continuous storms flooding the area. I bet your nights/mornings are still cold but the sun is getting stronger every day and that is a good sign.

Our ‘southern’ area is just starting to see really good weather. Highs in the 70’s a few days and no more freezing nights. Yea!!!!!!

Dogs are great! Our family always had dogs, which are great company, but we also had a neighbor or 2 that were not as happy all the time. That street looks to be a very nice, safe place to walk a dog. As was mentioned above, there is probably someone in the area who would love to have someone walk there dog. Anyway, get into a routine of walking and buildup your stamina. My outside work has already begun and I need to ‘get in shape’ too. I will not be raising 23 varieties of tobacco, hundreds of tomato plants and all sorts of other crops this season. Lots of other things to do this season.

The building on the left side is condos built in 2003. They are high end, but prices plunging. There is a nice one that is for sale for ~$200k

If you keep walking down Bryn Mawr, there are 1960 era one bedroom condos that were apartments or maybe multi unit houses where the owner is pretending they are condos. There are a large number of them for sale for around $50k. I was checking out my options yesterday. If I owned a condo, I probably could have a dog.

The only thing that has freaked me out since I’ve been here is the YouTube video you find with searching for 8747 Bryn Mawr. The “SQE documentary”. I ate once in the restaurant she mentions, and shop regularly at the supermarket. The Italian restaurant she mentions is out of business.

To get the general idea of what she is talking about, you’ll have to google that name. My sense is she has “issues” and watches too much TV. I’m not shocked that there are mobsters in Chicago. Another restaurant I tried, there was a conspicuous guy sitting in his seat in the middle of the afternoon looking the part. I didn’t ask him for favors and he didn’t talk to me, so I’m not concerned. The big mob is no longer the punks renting out the prostitutes and pushing sugary drinks on children. It’s the too big to fail banks

• Nidster says:

The mobsters and gang bangers can be dangerous, in a physical sense, but did you make eye contact, or exchange any type of greeting with the guy in the restaurant, such as a nod of the head?

My contact with other people, when I meet them for the 1st time, typically ends up being a very interesting event and is almost always on a very cordial level. Almost all of the people I meet for the 1st time takes place at their home, where they are most comfortable.

If I went in frequently, I’m sure eventually he would get curious who I am if he is what he seemed to be. He was more interested in talking with people he knew. I mostly was looking at my iPhone.

Shed the Elliot Ness digs. 😉

Kidding aside- iPhones are recording devices and can make people nervous if they are involved shady activities.

The other day when I took those pictures, I went and got a haircut. It’s hard to use the iPhone camera in sunlight.

After I left the haircut place, my phone was dead. I had not turned off the video camera, so I had a recording of the inside of my pocket and the conversation with the woman cutting my hair until the battery died.

Must suck for people trying to keep secrets these days.

Everybody knows that fat guys don’t walk. 😉 Consider walking a dog or riding a bike as well. All good stuff. Golf, and swimming are also good social activities that you can do into your 90s.

Will you loan me your dog?

I’m serious about that. You will find people in the park much more friendly, starting conversations, and even asking if they can pet the dog. Offer to do it for one of your neighbors or friends. Also, the animal shelters might let you help get their dogs out for some exercise. There are even people that do it as a business. Dogs are a lot of fun.