Welcome back

The server is back online (mostly)

The eMachine that ran the server for the past year may not have survived bouncing across the Seneca Indian reservation on route 17, but the ruggedized USB drive did as well as the older HP desktop

This is now the “real” server (albeit on slower hardware and an Internet connection of unknown quality)

Expect periods of disruption over the next week.   FCC related data was stored on the hard drive of the eMachine so won’t work until I redownload it from the FCC.

Work is going well, so I better get back to it 😉

This entry was posted in About the Guide. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Welcome back

The server is now sitting on the just arrived official computer desk

2. JMyrleFuller says:

Ah, yes, the infamous Route 17… you came through my neck of the woods.

3. Linda S. says:

Btw, stay safe.
    Chicago reduces population at an alarming rate.

I plan to write about that a bit as soon as I understand it

For those not familiar with Chicago, it’s mostly laid out on a grid, common in the Midwest, where there are not many obstacles to making straight roads. East/West Streets are identified by how far north or south of downtown they are. 1 mile = 8 blocks = 800 addresses – so someone who is at 6400N is 8 miles north of downtown.

Chicago is extremely racially segregated (shocking that a city run by Democrats is full of racists!). Roosevelt Road was (maybe still is) the “dividing line”. Except for the little enclave along the lake where Barack Obama lived, white people don’t live South of Roosevelt. 95th street is more or less another boundary – there is a major RR viaduct that effectively is a wall.

So from Roosevelt to 95th, from the lake in maybe 5 miles, the population is almost all black. That’s the part of the city involved in an all out war at the moment. Who is shooting and why I’m not sure, but I have a few theories.

I’m as far away from that part of Chicago as I can be and still be in Chicago and in a well run large complex.

4. Linda S. says:

Glad to see you’re back!
    What do you mean, “Atlas Shrugged Part II is coming in October.”???? Don’t go away again!! Please!!

5. lasong says:

Ya Dude we were worried about you after last years incident. Glad. really glad your back.

6. Jim Somervell says:

Good to see you made it in one piece. Thanks for everything.