Rome going to CBS

The rumo[u]r is officially true – sports radio broadcaster Jim Rome is headed to the new CBS Sports Radio network.   He currently works for Premiere, owned by Clear Channel.

CBS still knows how to make money in radio, in part because they own a TV Network, unlike Clear Channel or Cumulus.   They can cross promote each other rather than running inane Public Service Announcements for the autism industry.  Their all local sports talk stations have done very well.

Jim Rome is the only sports talk host that has generated a competitive audience share here (Sorry, Dan Patrick, et al).   The new NBC Sports radio and CBS Sports radio have different rollout strategies –  Jim Rome will start in January 2013.

But more importantly, it is Thursday Night and the regular officials are back and Ready to Rumble!

This entry was posted in Radio Biz, Talk Radio. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Rome going to CBS

1. popsmayhem says:

jim rome was burning the replacement nfl refs real bad. setting such a high standard on the veteran refs who also are prone to human error is only setting them up to be a disappointment. if the packers didnt play so crappy the last call would not.of.even mattered. hope rome finds his new home enjoyable.

2. foyle says:

The few times I ever listened to Rome he came across to me as an arrogant little prick. Wherever he ends up, I will have one more reason to not listen to ‘sports talk’ radio.

I wouldn’t argue that point. As a non-sports fan though, he has an incredible memory – he’ll just out of nowhere say “And you remember that game against Green Bay in 1983 where he fumbled the ball on the one yard line”. Rome isn’t focused on reading the scores from last night – he is more likely to talk about the implications of a rule change, some subtle thing an owner said at a press conference, and he isn’t afraid to go after people.

Dan Patrick is kind if the same way, but I find his voice annoying for some reason.

Doing a national sports show where you can’t just be the Homer and suck up to the local fans is going to be hard for the local CBS hosts they are pushing onto the network. A few will probably do well – they should use Rome as a template.

• foyle says:

The few times I have heard any of Patrick’s show it reminds me of the things that I hate about Glenn Beck’s show — Dan seems to spend a great deal of time talking to the other guys in the booth with him. I really don’t understand talk radio of any kind where the host thinks I want to tune in to listen to him talk to his buddies. They need to learn a lesson from the old Bruce Williams mantra “we talk to you, with you, and about you”.

• Nidster says:

foyle, seems to me you are negative on everyone you listen to. Who do you actually like?

• foyle says:

Wow, nidster I wasn’t aware you knew so much about me.

There are many people in talk radio that I have enjoyed listening to over the past 45 years. Some were good for a while but I tired of their schtick (Limbaugh being the prime example). Others I like because of their show prep and understanding that the audience is what matters — G. Gordon Liddy (now retired) and Jerry Doyle come to mind. Still others I have enjoyed at certain stages of their careers — Jim Bohannon, Bruce Williams, and even Larry King (in the 70’s and 80’s before anyone on CNN ever heard of him).

Lastly, there are people who I don’t necessarily like, don’t agree with their views, and don’t care for the content of their programs but whom I think provide entertainment to their target audiences — this would include Art Bell and Alex Jones.

As for sports, any of today’s sports talks and announcers do not hold a candle to the classic sports era of Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully, Red Barber, etc.

3. 3tooz says:

I’d listen to Al Michels over Jim Rome anyday, OUT !!!

Radio is not TV without the pictures. You can’t say “let’s take a look at the replay”. I think he would struggle to do radio, and most TV people don’t want to do radio unless their age is ending their TV career. Sporting event broadcasters don’t spend a lot of time in front if the camera, so they only retire if they want to (unless they comment about the differences in sports ability based on genetics)