Oops, we lost your voter registration!

August 29th, I became an Illinoiser, transferring my driver’s license and vehicle registration at the North Chicago office of the Secretary of State. Near the end of the process, I foolishly accepted the offer to automatically be registered to vote – aka “Motor Voter”

The Chicago Board of Elections has an online search to see if you are registered. It told me I’m not. Calling on the phone, they confirmed I’m not registered.

My only option now is to go downtown in person during the “grace period” with two IDs and vote there in person.

Chicago – where every vote counts unless it doesn’t.

This entry was posted in 2012 Election, American Politics, Art's Big Adventure. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Oops, we lost your voter registration!

1. Nidster says:

So, I suppose that answers the question, “How do they weed-out the ‘wrong’ voters?”

Voting update – I received a letter today in the mail informing me that the reason my voter registration was rejected was my mailing address is invalid.

3. Jim Somervell says:

Art why didn’t you just say “No Hablo”? Doesnt that work just as well in Chicago?
    Jim

I thought about asking if a card from the Mexican consulate was an acceptable ID.

It will be an entertaining experience. I live now in a very large apartment complex – the polling place is the social room in the complex (around 1000 units). Being close to O’hare, a lot of the residents are taxi drivers, judging by the cars in the parking lot. It will be interesting to listen to the variety of languages being spoken next Tuesday. This is a very diverse building.

4. Nidster says:

Well that sucks! The 2 IDs are either a passport, BC and/or driver’s license?

When I applied for my Illinois Driver’s license, I had to present my Secure CT Driver’s license, my birth certificate, my original social security card, a copy of my apartment lease, and two pieces of mail from government agencies and/or utility companies, or paychecks in my name at my supposed address.

With all of that, they still don’t trust their own driver’s license as proof you are who you say you are.