Geraldo says “adios” (mostly)

Jewish Puerto-Rican radio host and Hispanic immigration activist Geraldo Rivera told his audience today he will be leaving syndication January 1st. He is currently syndicated by Cumulus Media who also owns the former ABC Radio stations including WABC-AM in New York City.

Geraldo instead will be doing a local show in New York from 10 AM to noon – Don Imus does his show from 6-10 AM.

January 1st is a big day for WABC – Rush Limbaugh moves to WOR-AM, now owned by Clear Channel. Presumably WABC will pick up Mike Huckabee from Noon-3PM. Sean Hannity is also leaving Cumulus and WABC. I think he is also headed to WOR, but I’m not sure of that unless they buy out the contracts of the existing WOR hosts. Hannity will be replaced on WABC by Michael Savage at the pinnacle of his career.

Typically syndicators are required to give 30 days notice when they pull the plug on a show, which is why this was announced this week.

This entry was posted in American Politics, Radio Biz, Rush Limbaugh, Talk Radio. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Geraldo says “adios” (mostly)

Looking over the list of Geraldo affiliates, there are no significant stations other that Cumulus O&Os.

I wonder who will replace him from 9-noon – Quinn & Rose perhaps?

ahh, Breakfast Radio of Champions, from the former son-in-law of Kurt Vonnegut.

3. This is probably not a good sign for the future of Cumulus’ Mike Huckabee show. Brian Suits tweeted today that he will soon be doing 9 am to noon on Cumulus’ KABC-AM in Los Angeles, the nation’s No. 2 market. If he’s telling the truth, Suits would fill Geraldo’s two-hour slot and an hour now being hosted by John Phillips.

• That should be Bryan, with a Y.

Yes, and he is very sensitive about that.

Huckabee is unhappy probably for similar reasons to Geraldo. Huckabee’s contract (according to what he said a few months ago) has much of his pay tied to the revenue from national ad sales. The RAB (Radio Advertising Bureau) reported last month that national ad revenue was off a staggering 11% – and that’s for all radio – you know the corporate fear of appearing on conservative talk radio has that revenue stream down to things like untested diet powders that fill your stomach with fiber for 7 hours. Every time you hear Cumulus run an ad for Sweetjack, Huckabee is doing the show for free (or what he is being paid on the side).

Also, the three generation rule has claimed John Gambling over at WOR. He is retiring and his children have no interest in the family business.

• I have a crazy idea for Clear Channel — move the lovely and talented Kennedy from their L.A. cluster back to New York to replace Gambling in the morning.

Joe Bartlett used to be the morning guy until he was pushed aside when Gambling returned from WABC. He’s the likely choice. I wonder how Simone is doing from 10am-noon? I could see him shifting to 6-9am. Are they going to put Beck on WOR?

It would be interesting to have Kennedy do an hour long interview with Joan Hamburg, Long Island Socialite on WOR as long as I can remember. I presume she will also be retiring. She’s 78ish, about the average age of the Buckley family run WOR-AM listener.

• Parrott says:

LOL or lifelock, ‘Just take it from former NYC mayor Rudolph Giuliani ‘
          Parrott

He always seemed “rambling”. 😉

Anyone else not seeing Poll results after voting on the SRG main page ?
    I havn’t been seeing them for a few days. Could be my computer, can’t tell for sure yet
    Parrott

It’s not you. There are three people who have told me about this, although I’m unable to reproduce it on myself.

I think it is related to some code I added a few days ago to try to filter out SQL injection attacks which are picking up – and it is filtering out more than what I wanted. That’s the only thing I’ve changed recently.

I think I have it fixed now.

For the geeky who might be curious, when you respond to a poll, it sends back an array with the request as you’re allowed to select more than one answer. My test for SQL injection assumed that it was dealing with a string and not an array and therefore got confused and ignored the answers you submitted.

Have you experimented with Microsoft’s messaging middleware?

• Parrott says:

Yeah , You fixed it ! outstanding Art. Now if you could do something with that last little bit of connector needed on 485 around Charlotte, the world would be whole : )
        well, not really, but it would be a nice to have.
        Have a good one
        Parrott

Get it “shovel ready”, Parrott so we can get it done with the next financial crisis instead of building gangster museums with the money borrowed from China.

How long have they been building 485?

Maybe the thinking is people heading south on I-85 are unlikely to want to go north on I-77

To give some context, when I went to high school in Statesville, I-77 ended at the next exit north of I-40 and only went South as far as Moorseville. It was basically a Road from nowhere to nowhere (like the California bullet train). That meant it wasn’t worth it for police to patrol, so it was a 20 mike long race track after the “good people” were asleep in their beds.

• Parrott says:

Interesting, You can tell that section of road is older, both lanes right beside each other and very little cut and fill. It’s every bit of ten years for 485, and not yet completed. I do like the section out there along the airport. Very entertaining seeing the airplanes landing and taking off.
            That northwest section of the ‘beltway’ between 77 & 85, goes through some rural looking area.

LOL CC shovel ready, LOL you know it !
            Parrott

Shortly after I got here, I drove up to Huntersville. The traffic there was horrendous around dinner time. I drove a bit out in the country and saw a few new developments going up, but someone is going to have to spend serious money improving those 2 lane rural roads and put in water mains and sewers before any real growth is going to happen. That’s not in the city of Charlotte, so I guess the county would have to fund that.

A look at the map of the 12th Congressional district gives some very strong hints about why development to the North of Charlotte is a hard sell

5. Tom Taylor says Hannity is going to WOR. I fully expect this but I don’t think it’s actually been announced by CC or WOR. Contracts with current hosts shouldn’t be an issue: 3 to 4 is the second hour of Dave Ramsey (the first is being supplanted by Rush) and I’m told Rita Cosby (4-6) is working under the same contract she had when her show was online only, which allowed WOR to move her to 710 as needed.

6. Huckabee’s out now, and they just moved Dennis Miller to his slot. Lots of activity in the talk realm lately.

7. lasong says:

I am not surprised Geraldo’s show never lasted very long. He often belittles and argues with his callers to much, his political view seems to swing more to the left while his show is played on conservative talk stations.