Candy Crush may be spying on you

It’s getting harder and harder to avoid wearing a tin foil hat

It looks like the government has so many agencies spending their days running around Second Life and World of Warcarft they had to set up an interagency coordination so they don’t end up investigating each other.

The article also mentions the government pursued creating video games for the purpose of spying on its users.

This entry was posted in Candy Crush, Collapse of America, Individual Liberty, Privacy. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Candy Crush may be spying on you

Off topic – Reason magazine seems to have a regular on Fox Business Network’s new show hosted by Kennedy (ex MTV) that is socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Worth watching.

Around 10 years ago, I was a “beta tester” for a 3D virtual world called “There” (there.com). It was similar to the later Second Life – if you had the skills to design 3D virtual objects and could get people to pay purchased virtual money for them, you could actually (in theory) make a real world living.

It became apparent pretty quickly that it was us who were being beta tested, not the software. We were carefully being tracked to see where we went, what we did and who we associated with. One of the main management people was a PhD in neuropsychology and was studying how immersion in a virtual environment could rewire people’s brains.

The company was located in Silicon Valley and the people involved in creating it were hopelessly “progress”ive. The towns had clubhouses that individuals could rent and hold secret meetings (ala the NSA’s concerns). While it was beta (and free), European socialists dominated the place with their anti American, George Bush is Hitler culture. Just as an aside, I would amuse myself by causing my pet dog to appear inside their clubhouse during their meetings and start barking. The dog wasn’t actually inside the room, so they were unable to kick it out 😉

When it came time to actually pay a monthly fee for the service, a lot of the freeloading socialists vanished – but the root problem was the entire concept was seriously flawed. If 1,000 people were online, the entire system got so slow it was unusable. The business model said they needed 200,000 subscribers to break even.

When the Venture Capital people concluded there was no hope of a viable product and pulled out their money, the Company landed a contract with the US Military to use the basic technology for training soldiers in how to engage in combat and run roadblocks and avoid getting blown up.

The company didn’t try to hide it, and the remaining peaceniks went ballistic that they had been betrayed. The company then made it free on the hope that people would still buy virtual clothes and “stuff”. All that did was open the doors for 8 years to open accounts and run around with anatomically correct adult avatars, making it dangerous to have conversations with anyone. The place folded after a few more months.

The company patted itself on the back for its diversity and tolerance – so of course one brave guy decided to test them. He submitted a design for a huge Jesus Saves billboard which they ended up approving. Outside of a few critical areas, anyone could place objects on the ground if you paid the “rent”. So his virtual “church” really pissed off the tolerant virtual diversity police, especially the gay rights activists. I bought one of the signs knowing there was a pretty good chance they would eventually find some pretext to ban himz, which they did try to do – but he also had lawyers 😉

So despite not being Christian, I had a lot of pleasure with that sign testing people’s actual commitment to free expression and diversity.

The picture of “Art Stone” I use in the blog was my There avatar. You pretty much had complete control over your physical appearance and clothes. My character was significantly overweight, reflected me, not an alter ego of me. It was interesting to watch how the diversity tolerant ones would avoid interacting with you or just come out and demand you make your character not fat.

• foyle says:

Thanks for sharing that tidbit about your avatar. I have always thought there must be a story behind that, as I assumed that you bear little resemblance to that image.

I’m much more handsome.

The time I spent in “There” was kind of interesting. It was brought back a few years ago. Even if you think it’s really odd, the videos are stil very entertaining.

I had two main interests in it – one was technological – learning how you make a 3D virtual world where people all over the world could interact in real time (including car racing). The thing was way more advanced than any “virtual reality” program I had seen, and at least at the time was much better than Second Life. They incorporated 3D audio into the avatars so the other people appeared to be talking from their location relative to you, including if they were in motion, their voice moved with them. You can imagine how irritating this got when the children showed up and the 11 year old boys enjoyed trying out their “vocabulary” on strangers.

The second interest was the “economy”. Those virtual objects that you bought with real money could be bought and sold to each other (with a small transaction fee). Levi jeans and a few others ware initially a sponsor but pulled out when the technology limitations became obvious.

The sensation of driving a buggy around or flying around on a hover board was incredibly thrilling. If a person was paralyzed, it would be that much more thrilling.

I found that how people behaved in There was often giving lots of hints about how they are in real life, even if they try to hide it. My characters in There (and Runescape) wear the cheapest clothing and have no interest in titles, status or telling other people what to do. I’ve realized how unusual that makes me. When I join a group, they don’t know how to react when I don’t want a rank and suggest that I won’t be “showing respect” to the gang – that’s usually when they kick me out 😉

It was the inverse Bitcoin where you used real money to buy imaginary things. 😉

Thankfully, they can only spy on me from Angry Birds 😉