Streaming Stats in detail

With the normal disclaimer that these stats are only for visitors who come to this web site and agree to be tracked…

If you’re a metrics junkie, have we got data for you! You don’t need to be registered to use this, but please don’t abuse it like automating scripts to scrape the data every 5 minutes, etc…

The main entry point to the interesting stuff is here:

This blog post shows pictures, not a live display. If you click the link, that’s the live data. The station format, number of entries and period are remembered in your cookie, so you won’t have to have an account to see this data. So this is showing the stats for the past week (late January 2014) for News/Talk stations for the past week and show a maximum of 10 programs. (I just added back in options to show the past month, past 90 days or past 365 days)

Let’s say I’m curious about Rush Limbaugh’s listeners (who isn’t?)

Click on the number to the right of the show name:

stats1a

gives us

stats2

You can see that no one station dominates which station people listen to. One of the most important factors is that stations who play prestream ads are penalized and sort lower in the station list, so some of these probably don’t annoy you with an extra 30+ seconds of commercials when you start the player.

So KTSM-AM is the most streamed station that carries Rush Limbaugh. The green cc next to the name means this is a Clear Channel station. If we click on the call sign, you will go to the station web site to try to figure out why.

If you are NOT interested in programs, but only stations (like what is the most streamed country music station here) use this link instead:
Popularity by Station Format

to see this:
stats3

and then click on Country Music to see:

stats4

It’s important to point out that one of the huge limitations of all these streaming statistics is that stations change formats or call signs and go away. The format of the radio station when the streaming attempt was tracked is not saved – the only data available is the current format of the station, and only if the station is still active.

Another way to look at the data is by Show Genre rather than Station Format. This still requires the station that was selected to have a show in the schedule at the time it was listened to.

stats5

All of these pages are found on the “What’s on Now” pages (but ONLY if you have tracking enabled)

statslink

Let me know if you find anything that is broken.

This entry was posted in About the Guide, Radio Biz. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Streaming Stats in detail

1. Landmark95 says:

I’m shocked that Alan Colmes did not come to my mind when thinking about liberal hosts, since I only first heard about him about 35 years ago, when he was on WNBC-AM in New York. I did not realize he was married to Monica Crowley’s sister, (until I just saw that on the web). He does argue kind of like a lawyer, without yelling at callers, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the calls were screened – to find only the dumbest right-wingers possible to put on the air.

I am also surprised at myself for needing to be reminded that my tax dollars go to funding NPR, which constitutes one-stop shopping for liberal/progressive listeners. I am hereby terminating any further curiosity as to why this genre garners little or no attention.

Sometime around 1999 or so Monica got her first radio show and it was a local show on WABC. She blasted liberals. By day two or three, someone called and started blasting “that idiot Alan Colmes”. She stopped him dead in his tracks.

Paraphrasing from memory”My show will never be used to criticize Alan Colmes. Is he misguided in his politics? Yes he is. But he is a good man and I would not have this show or a career in media without the help he has given me. He is also my brother-in-law. He is married to my sister.”

I think a lot of listeners respected her for that.

2. Landmark95 says:

I love the stats page. I find it fascinating who’s listening to who, and why. What I can’t get my mind around is why the Progressive/liberal talk share is so incredibly low (1-3%)? I can see that it may not be nearly entertaining as the conservative stuff, but there’s no hunger out there, anywhere for lib talk? Outside of maybe Thom Hartmann, or Ed Schultz, is there any lib host who became nationally-known? I can’t understand why there’s little or no audience for it. When the 179th C2C show on the Nephilim can get ratings, why can’t even an odd progressive host?

Those ratings aren’t significantly different than what Arbitron sees on over the air.

On the other hand, I think my stats seriously under report NPR / Public radio. That’s because NPR was way out in front promoting streaming and especially podcasting before most of the commercial stations. If you want to listen to Diane Rehm, you don’t wind up here to find it.

Most (all?) of my traffic comes from search engines. The days when people built personal home pages on AOL with pictures of their cat are long gone. Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Flipboard, YouTube and other corporate media might direct eyeballs where they want people to look, but those venues are not where you find people listening to radio.

• foyle says:

Alan Colmes is probably better known on TV than radio. I have listened to his show a few times. He seems to at least be a fair-minded liberal and treats callers (generally) with respect. If I had to listen to liberal talk, he would probably be my choice over the other bozos out there.

3. haiti222 says:

Michael and Roy are the two hosts I enjoy the most talking about their view of the world. What does that say about me?

4. janderson says:

Nice drill down stats Art.

I just sorted by popularity, weiner is up 119% ?!?!?
    wtf is all i can say.

I don’t think it’s a quirk either. One day this week he outdrew Beck.

Whether he can keep from stepping on a figurative land mine is yet to be seen. I gave him 5 weeks before that happens. This is week 4.

My sense is the timing is right. People have had it with the mamby pamby Republican “establishment”. Hannity being a Karl Rove suck up doesn’t add to his appeal. As my sarcastic description of the show implies, Hannity has consistently been wrong about the election predictions. Hannity has jumped the shark (at least on radio). People are angry and looking for action. Savage makes loud barking sounds, but the only place he is leading people is over a cliff.

• janderson says:

I used to listen to Savage, but he get boring, to me, pretty quick. Funny thing though, my 28 y.o. daughter with a liberal arts degree likes to listen to him.
        Hannity is a broken record, I just can’t listen to him on the radio. When his television show is on here (9pm), I go to the radio and listen to Andy Dean.

Sounds like your daughter may “get it”

Savage is an act created by Michael Weiner. He definitely is not a Conservative in any definition I can stretch to try to fit him. He is a characture of what a Berkely educated, Marin County, poodle loving man who used to hang out at the best known communist book store in San Francisco thinks a Conservative sounds like. He hated Ronald Reagan, thinks everyone at CPAC is a fake conservative, guarded Timothy Leary’s house while Leary was having LSD parties, hung out with gay Communist poet Allen Ginsberg… He tells his Conservative and/or Christians that they are stupid mindless sheep to their face and they appear to love it.

It may be he has convinced himself he is the character he is playing on the radio, but I think in the end he is going to have the last laugh. Or Roy Masters will.

• Landmark95 says:

Hannity’s fading because all of his radio eggs were placed in the Repub basket, and they’ve been like the Keystone Kops in recent years – you can’t even pretend they’re interesting. Hannity has no “it” factor, he’s the antithesis to “must-listen” radio. With Limbaugh, Savage, or Beck, you’ll tune in to get a take on events that’s strictly their own, said in their own special way.

Savage is so self-absorbed, that he can be hard to listen to at times. On a slow news day, guys like Prager or Medved have no problem doing an hour on relationships – or anything other than politics. On a slow news day, Savage has little to talk about other than: his dog, memories of Utopia Parkway, and how he’s been god’s gift to radio.

It may be worth explaining that the totals are different because some people listened to a news talk station when there was no item in the schedule at that time, so it counts for the station, but not for any show.

I Like WBOB too. ‘,,Today traffic on the ‘Buckman’ is moving smoothly until you get to 95′. Yeah they are good, no PSA’s.
    I will try KNSS CC.
    I use to listen to WRVA, cause it’s in VA, but they went with that heart app and I moved on. So I frequent WCHV Charlotteville, no PSA’s and a local show before rush. No ads either when you start up ‘streamtheworld’.

Hey Art, do I get counted if I type in the call sign and click station search and click on their link ? I usually just type in a call sign.
    Those are cool stats.

This is one of the dubious assumptions in my stats keeping – and not the way it worked originally. If you click to go to the station homepage and don’t click the SRG player icon, and that station currently has a scheduled program, it counts that as a listen attempt for that program.

There are other ingenious ways I sort out people trying to manipulate the statistics, but I’ll keep those details to myself 😉

Damn. I clicked through to the station homepage to see what they list as their program schedule when there were holes in the SRG schedule for them… wasn’t trying to listen at all, just to decide which station to select for an empty preset button 🙂

i wouldn’t click through on any of those Carolina stations thought— wouldn’t want to hear any thing from there 🙂

Good stuff. I thought I was the only one that likes that low power WMMB in Melbourne and WBOB in Jacksonville! Wow.

I also like KNSS in Wichita, KS.

Also KIXW <- play C2C until 8 or 9 AM ET
    12370 HESPERIA ROAD
    SUITE 17
    VICTORVILLE, CA 9293

8. foyle says:

For some reason, when I select “top 10 all time” for Public Radio, the #7 show is Glenn Beck (?) — the rest of the top 10 are standard NPR programming.

Well, I guess I’ll have to snoop around. My guess is some news / talk call sign was reused and is now a public radio station.

I haven’t read all the comments yet, but is someone noticed that 11% of the listening attempts are for religious programs, that is almost all Glenn Beck, and that’s on purpose 😉