One way to understand a society is to see where it expends its resources to create monuments to be discovered by later generations of archeologists. Egypt built the pyramids. The Mayans built temples for human sacrifices. China built the Great Wall of China. Rome built acquaducts, Vatican City and the Coliseum. Asia built huge statues of Bhudda.
Today As we celebrate the annual haaj to the temples of Football, let’s just admit the truth and legally declare football a religion.
What would be some of the implications of doing this?
– ban governments from using money or bonding authority to fund the building of stadiums (spparation of church and state)
– make the price of game tickets tax deductible
– prohibit public schools from teaching the game or having teams
– privately owned stadiums would not be subject to property tax or pay taxes on their sales
– government could not get involved in interfering with the rules of the game and whether players use steroids
So what else would this mean? Do you like the idea?