Mozilla is so gay!

The co-founder of Mozilla and creator of JavaScript is under fire. Three of the six board members have quit because Brendon Eich committed the outrageous act of giving money to Prop 8 in California to define marriage between one man and one woman.

He was named CEO and all hell is breaking loose. Mozilla is the entity that primarily exists to continue the development of the Firefox browser after AOL acquired Netscape and signed a licensing deal the same day to use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Netscape was relegated to be the browser for Compuserv – the online service AOL had bought and rebranded as AOL with training wheels for people just not smart enough to use AOL. Not surprisingly, the Netscape people cashed out their AOL buyouts and left en masse.

Mozilla was mostly funded by ad revenue from Google – but now that Google has Chrome and Android, it has no need for Firefox – and FF has been losing much of its market share even before this.

Think of Brendan Eich as the Hester Prynne of the 21st century.

This entry was posted in Collapse of America, Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Mozilla is so gay!

The NY Times profile back in the good old days.

Here is a youtube video if you want to get a sense of him

Despite doing computer programming since 1976 and this web stuff since 1995, I still only understood maybe 5% of what he is saying. His brain is moving 1000 mph.

I really doubt he’s working at Mozilla because he wants or needs the money. I also tend to think sex is about the last thing he thinks about in his life. I think the mistake is not that he gave money, but that very smart people make really bad managers.

There is another important clue here – when he because CEO, the COO that was named is from Mozilla China. Without Google funding, it needs a new sponsor. I don’t think gay marriage is a big issue to China – the right to have more than one child is. So now the “American Culture” is likely to chase one of the most brilliant computer geeks in the world into the waiting arms of the ChiComs. Well done.

• Nidster says:

There must some master Plan whereby the Criminally Insane Regime, and their followers, desire the US be isolated from certain aspects of the world’s economic giants, or maybe they want to create some type of Backlash. just sayin’

2. HPaws says:

You have raised two points: the potential for a New Moderate Ottoman Empire and the tyranny in American of the outlandish left of public behavior and discourse in the last few days that would make good books. In a sort of horrific way I am intrigued by the sodomite / baby-murder / anti-God that have taken sway over public culture. In terms of action, nothing I can do will help the Boy Scouts save their private organization from the PC-Gobbels’, congress has abrogated their oversight responsibilities and as an institution it is lost – may come back – who knows. After I meet my obligations to God, family, employees and business and other personal responsibilities there isn’t much left to deal with the the genuine domestic enemies many have taken a oath to uphold the very constitution they urinate on. I didn’t have the mental muscle to imagine what Washington meant when he talked of the national loss of God meant the loss of the nation. Now that I see it, the little gray cells – they understand. You commentary is a welcome thought spark.

I’m about to say about the most unAmerican thing it is possible to say.

Maybe it’s time we as a culture consider adopting arranged marriages. It would resolve so many of our cultural problems. Perhaps romantic love is a Hollywood myth to sell shampoo and nike sneakers and vinyl records.

4. Landmark95 says:

Being tolerant and accepting of everyone, hits a critical snag when Sharia law is thrown into the mix. Only Muslim weddings for instance, are considered valid (for inheritance purposes). One of the key stumbling blocks with civil unions, was that they did not lead to auto-inheritance rights, like real marriage does.

Insert “free of estate taxes”

And social security survivor benefits, surviving spouse annuity payments, government pension benefits.

It ain’t about love.

There are people who are gay and there are gay activists. They work at counter purposes. The gay folks would like acceptance and to quietly fit into society while the activists want to tear heterosexuality down. I don’t understand the motivation, but as Art said above – follow the money.

At the risk of speculating about the obvious, Mr. Eich is 53 years old and never married. Why do you think a rich middle aged unmarried man supports traditional marriage?

6. Landmark95 says:

Holy chit Batman! You’re not playing games! Mozilla has “mosey-ed on” outta here…

7. janderson says:

C’mon Art, I don’t have a choice but to use Firefox if I want to access your site and to use the ‘more choices’ link (and I do alot).

8. WesternMA says:

I agree with janderson…can’t use IE because I’m not ready to give up XP and refuse to support Google (for reasons that could run pages).
    Part of me understands your boycotting Mozilla over Eich’s “resignation”, but I don’t understand your boycotting those of us who use FF.

• TheChairman says:

I use Firefox because it is the only browser which allows me to block and filter the onslaught of beacons, cookies, Flash ads, and other intrusions lurking on practically every site. SRG is one of the few sites which does not abuse my privacy or bandwidth… I’ve only spotted one tracking widget: ‘Gravatar’.

That said, it seems Art is not in this for ‘revenue’ and is acting on principle.

It’s unfortunate, but I don’t think Mr. Eich is ‘martyr material’ for opposing the Gay Gestapo which is becoming more brazen and -dangerous- each day.

The whole thing stinks. It seems like a setup, or hysterical witch hunt by ‘activists’ hell bent on denying Mr. Eich his basic Constitutional freedoms.

Problem is, the other tech companies (browsers) are just as bad… you think Google (Chrome), Opera, or MS don’t harbor ‘political correctness’ Nazis?

With regard to Firefox, here are 5 add-ons which allow me to keep the online barbarians at the gate, Ghostery is a real eye-opener on many sites I visit:

Ghostery – blocks most tracking and briefly displays ALL the external sites which are covertly mining the visited page (beacons, analytics, cookies, etc).

FlashBlock – intercepts Flash content (e.g. ‘autoplay’) and let’s me decide IF and when to watch it.

NoScript – used in tandem with Ghostery for ‘white listing’ trusted sites.

AdBlock Plus – speaks for itself
      Element Helper for AdBlock Plus (create rules for blocking -text- ads)

Firefox is still my preferred browser for the reasons you noted… and because there is a plugin for almost anything you can imagine.

I do wish there was a stable 64 bit version with a similar plugin/addon library.

• Nidster says:

Emisoft Anti-Malware with On-Line Armour does a lot of the above, plus it will allow the other programs you listed, but will not allow your computer to be hi-jacked unless you approve it.

9. jpaulwede says:

Bold stance, Art. I like it.

When I first started posting here, someone asked me why I post under CC1s121LrBGT rather than my real name. I could have chosen a fake name like Larry King, but that would have misled you to think my fake name was my real name. No one would think CC1s121LrBGT is my real name.

I explained why, but this Brendan Eich is a good illustration. I am a consultant, always looking for new business and new jobs. I like to come here and sometimes be silly and other times play devil’s advocate because I like discussing things. One time I even suggested we should look at how H itler handled the aftermath of Qualitative Easing (QE). [He went more than a little overboard against the bankers who were in fact, mostly Jewish. To be clear, the reason to examine history is not to copy it, but to learn from it.]

So if you were a hiring manager and had 5 qualified candidates, you google them and find that one of them posted about H itler and the others didn’t…. you’d be down to 4 qualified candidates. Same for Obamacare, gay marriage, global warming, Keynesianism or any other topic near and dear to your heart.

11. janderson says:

After reading the threads since I first posted, I still don’t understand why locking out the FF users from this site makes any difference to the ‘inclusive and so very tolerant’ goose-steppers on the left. They don’t care, their play has been made, and my use of FF doesn’t make mozilla any money (or does it?). BTW – I tried Opera, the players do not work. /whining

12. Rick.Blibit says:

Opera has a decent Math-ML implementation, and besides, I understand the they DO NOT have UCLA or UCSD Graduate who majored in Asian Midget Female Sexual Studies in charge of their development (or their corporation)!
    Mozilla GO-IN-DOWN… (long live Mozilla).

13. frankz says:

Because of Mozilla’s bigotry against religion and crusade against free speech I switched from Firefox to Pale Moon (an optimized Firefox fork that has nothing to do with Mozilla but does support the plug-ins I need like adblock and NoScript), but the site is still locking me out. Please consider allowing Pale Moon to access the site. Here is the user-agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140329 Firefox/24.0 PaleMoon/24.4.2

14. TheChairman says:

Disturbing discovery on Turbo Tax software, will their CEO resign as well?

Somewhat related… while answering the preliminary questions on Turbo Tax, I was surpised, dumbfounded, and annoyed by the following question about marital status.

Here were the options:

-Single
    -Married
    -In a same-sex marriage
    -Divorced
    -Leagally separated
    -Widowed

Now, I have some concerns and questions about why they have differentiated between marriage types. After all, isn’t being treated equally what the LGBT ‘community’ wanted? Why is this ‘group identity’ choice on the form?

Are they receiving a secret tax credit or other advantage over heterosexuals?

Or, are they being identified for other purposes? e.g. Obamacare compliance?

Seems odd that there hasn’t been any outrcry for this sort of biased question.

Furthermore, I saw no option for Domestic Partners (heterosexual or not).

P.s. Frankz: Thanks for the tip, will checkout Pale Moon on your suggestion!

• TheChairman says:

Frankz: Well, it appears Pale Moon is listed on Mozilla’s site… and I think the point of contention is against Mozilla as a whole, and not just Firefox.

Here is a list of browsers, mail clients, etc which are ‘Powered by Mozilla’.

Even if a person wants to eat the fruit of the poison tree, think carefully about the consequences of using a fork of the Mozilla Firefox source code tree being built by one guy. A significant feature of Firefox is they can immediately push updates to the browser in the event of a day zero exploit, so the browser protects itself before you even read news that there is a problem. The flip side is they seen to push updates every few days that delays the browser startup and causes the computer to get bogged down for minutes.

As I wrote in another thread, don’t start a war unless you know what your objective is. Mozilla was created as a non-profit entity to own and further develop the Firefox browser (and a few other lesser known products) that had been developed by Netscape, acquired by AOL and then allowed to languish. Mozilla and its community have been zealously anti-Microsoft and anti capitalism. The open source movement is very much socialism in action. People contribute their time and skills to create a product that then is distributed free to the world. Many of the developers are living from government incomes and in some cases corporations who perceive a benefit to supporting open source.

As at least one person pointed out, Microsoft was leading the vanguard in pushing for gay rights – they made a big deal out of providing gay partner benefits to employees when there was no legal requirement and very little public support for the issue. Back in the early days of Mozilla, I would ask people if their fight to destroy Microsoft was because they hate gay people.

Mozilla needed funding though – and found Google willing to hand them cash. Firefox would default to using Google for search, and Google would pay a small % of the Adsense ad revenue to Mozilla. That deal ended in 2011.

But operating as a non profit foundation starts becoming a problem when your income exceeds your expenses or you begin to behave like a for-profit venture – so Mozilla Foundation created a for profit entity in 2005 called Mozilla Corporation – which is what Mr Eich co-founded and the company then transformed from a volunteer effort to a corporation with a large number of paid staff.

So what is the objective of opposing Mozilla?

– getting Eich his job back? I doubt he would want that and the people who started this fight will never accept that
        – firing of the woman who forced him out?
        – the destruction of Mozilla?
        – sending a “message” to the so-called gay rights movement to “back off”?

My objective to this point is creating awareness. It is not searching for a “non gay” browser. There is no such thing. The brown shirt mob mentality that surfaced at Mozilla could just have easily been cause he contributed to a pro life group, supported Romney for President or supported Conceal Carry of firearms (none of which probably are true – but I have no idea as he doesn’t strike me as being a politically motivated person)

“The open source movement is very much socialism in action. ”

I don’t agree with that at all. It is volunteerism. Is helping your neighbor socialism? Hell no. It is different if your neighbor takes your things without your permission.

Socialism is when the things you have are forcefully taken from you and given to someone the government deems “more worthy” of owning them.

Nothing socialist about offering the help your neighbors or making a donation of time and/or resources.

• frankz says:

What you said about security made a lot of sense, Art, and ultimately I uninstalled both Firefox and Pale Moon and went with Chrome. It takes some getting used to.

I imported all of my browsing history / passwords / bookmarks from Firefox etc using Chrome’s built-in functionality (Settings -> Import Bookmarks And Settings (under “Users”)). That worked great. Since I was syncing Firefox between computers and Chrome also syncs between computers, I only had to do this on the first install (of three) and now all of my Firefox history is in all of my Chrome installs.

I was able to find Chrome plugins that emulated the two must-haves I was using in Firefox. AdBlock Plus actually has a Chrome extension, and ScriptSafe is a suitable replacement for NoScript.

Hope this info helps make someone’s switch a little bit easier.

• frankz says:

One last thing – what I really missed about Firefox was the drop down list of most visited links in the address bar. Chrome has an extension for this, too. It’s called, interestingly enough, “Drop Down List of Most Visited Links.” Again, hope this helps anyone on the fence about making the switch.

Thanks. That does help. I have had Chrome installed for years and have used it from time to time.

Another extension you should consider for Chrome is one that lets you map your printers to it. Once you do that, and have chrome running on your computer, you can print to your printer from anywhere in the world. Great for printing from your cell phone as well – you just have to be logged in to your gmail account.

Well, this gets to the heart of the legal issue, none of whuch was accidental.

Because of the Constitutional requirement that states uphold contracts made in other states, the moment the first state adopted so-called “gay marriage”, it forced all other 56 states into a corner. If a “married” gay couple from Massachusetts moves to North Carolina which does not have gay marriage, what now? NC taxes are based on North Carolina law, but use the IRS 1040 data. Can the “couple” file jointly on their Federal return, but then be forced to file as individuals filing separately on their North Carolina return?

What if you’re legally separated from a gay marriage? How is alimony taxed? Can a lesbian claim child support payments for a child adopted by the couple while they were married?

Turbo tax is caught in the middle of this – their obligationis to provide an accurate return based on the existing law. I’m pretty sure all the companies that do e-file receive a payment from the IRS, because moving to electronic filing is immensely more efficient for the IRS.

I am not a fan of Intuit for other reasons, but their Turbo Tax is best of breed. If you want them do figure out your taxes, they have to ask questions like this. Some states will recognize same sex marriages and others will not. If you want them to do you state taxes, they need to know.

Keep in mind, that marriage in any particular religion is different than marriage in your particular country/state – the country / state determine how much tax you will pay and whether you have chosen a partner that gives you the lower rate. You religion (not the country / state) determine whether you are going to heaven or hell based on your choice.

15. frankz says:

Pale Moon is developed independently and not in any way a product of Mozilla. Anyone can take open source code and develop it in any way they like. That’s what a software fork is. It doesn’t make them the enemy. There are users who can’t abandon needed functionality but still want to stop using products distributed by Mozilla. This is my way.

Just my own humble suggestion and request.

16. WesternMA says:

After reading all the complaints against Mozilla (and most notably listening to Charles Krauthammer), I agree with Art.
    But…now I have a problem switching from FF. For any of you who use online banking, is there a browser besides IE or FF that will work?

On my redirect page, I listed all the reasonable options I know of

Here is what people actually use

The options beyond IE and Firefox are
      – Chrome (Google) which already has a market share larger than Firefox
      – Safari (Apple) – unless you use a Mac already, the Windows version has a learning curve
      – Opera – a non-free browser from Norway. I don’t like it – I bought a copy of 3.62 when it was very buggy to encourage an alternative to Netscape and Microsoft. When the released v5.0, they demanded that I buy it again. I deleted it.

The conspiracy part of me wonders if this whole controversy was actually initiated by Google.

Personally, I’m doing 90% of my browsing on the iPad and iPhone using Safari, including doing online banking. I’ve switched my default browser to Chrome. I still need all of them because of the web site.

The main dangers to online banking is to not do it using WiFi on an open connection (Starbucks, McD, Airports) and be very careful about emails that purport to be from your bank. Browser choice shouldn’t matter much. One consideration which may not matter is whether you want multiple devices to sync “in the cloud”, so your desktop, laptop, tablet and phone automatically add new bookmarks, remember passwords, etc without having to update each one separately.

!00% agree. I would also recommend using http://www.opendns.com/ which it free.

You use it by changing the DNS information in your traveling computing device to use its DNS servers. I have my home router using it for my entire home.

They do an outstanding job blocking named sites known for phishing and spoofing. (They will not help if it is a numeric IP address).

You can also block specific types of sites or specific sites that you choose – these are useful features if you have young children.

There are many here and elsewhere that have strong feelings on Mozilla because of this story. Personally, I think they made a bad decision and am unhappy with the people that are running the organization, but I am not so unhappy that I lose sleep or will stop using the free product that I like.

HERE IS MY SUGGESTION: If you feel strongly about it, UNINSTALL Firefox. When you do, the uninstaller will ask you why you are uninstalling and give you an opportunity to submit feedback. If you still want to use the browser, you can reinstall it after submitting your comments.

• Nidster says:

Doesn’t FF track that stuff, CC. The NSA does.

They might. You’re still allowed to use it, but it sends a message.

Just saw someone on The Independents tonight talking about how they have twitter, facebook and other social media IDs correlated to voting records… just a private company that sells information to political campaigns.

18. WesternMA says:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Installed Chrome yesterday. It seems to be really bloated and very intrusive. Loaded Opera, which I used years ago until my bank wouldn’t accept it. So far it’s working well and does work for online banking. I’ll give it a few more days. Speed dial is great and it unloads all cookies upon closing…that’s a bonus.

I haven’t used Chrome so much. I am not used to its user interface and prefer Firefox’s. Chrome is well built and a better browser than Internet Explorer.

The one issue I have with Chrome is that on Windows 7/8/8.1 when you do an upgrade of Chrome, it will no longer start when you click its icon. I think the issue is with 64 bit Windows only. Google and Microsoft have know about it for at least a year but have not fixed it. I got tired of uninstalling it, then doing a clean install of Chrome and then of my addons (Linkman, Roboform, anti-virus, print-from-the-internet, etc.)… so I almost never use Chrome.

19. WesternMA says:

Just ran across a review of Comodo’s IceDragon. Built by Comodo (the anti-virus folks) on top of FireFox, it’s billed as a very safe FF and well rated by PC Magazine. Just downloaded it. While it’s supposed to import all your existing bookmarks and passwords, it didn’t for me. It is, however, fairly fast and has a number of safeguards built in which doesn’t seem to slow it down.
    Downside: it doesn’t work on SRG…too bad, otherwise I would use it. Seems like a very safe alternative for those of us who are not ready to give up XP just yet.

Wow. XP is really old school. My guess is you are probably running on old hardware too. Worth considering a visit to Costco or Walmart for a machine 10x faster for about $400.

Something like 30% of windows computers are still using XP. Windows 7 is no longer available from stores and OEM availability ends October 2014. Win8 sucks eggs. Microsoft is supposedly pushing an update to Win 8.1 today to make win 8.1 have an option to mke it look like win7.

The upgrade from Win95 to WinXP forced weeks of work – totally rewriting Visual / Access basic code because DLLs needed to run the code went away. I had to purchase yet another copy of Microsoft Office. My application was relatively simple and not a mission critical application at a corporation. Swapping out computers in a Company involves much more than backing up a truck from Dell to the loading dock.

Yes, everyone knew this day was coming for years. In the real world, you deal with things like you have lost the source code for programs, or you are relying on third party software from companies that no longer exist and the people who wrote the code 20 years ago are dead.

• Nidster says:

Better yet, buy refurbished. My current machine is a refrubbed Gateway with a ton of good stuff for only $350. The 90 day warranty was the trade-off, but its been running for 2 years+.

Good one. Hard to justify paying $100 for software upgrades to an old machine when a newer faster machine with the upgrades already installed is only $350.

• TheChairman says:

CC: FYI, a reconditioned 2-3 year old Dell Precision Workstation T7400 (dual Xeon quad-core, 16GB, 1TB diskwith Win7-64 ) can be found on eBay for $400… that is a LOT more machine than you’ll get buying new.

Nidster:

Agreed. We haven’t bought ‘new’ in years… Tons of high-end machines come off-lease each year from corporations. e.g. Dell Precisions, IBM Thinkpads.

Our ‘newest’ machine is a 2010 Dell Precision M6500 laptop. We bought it 3 months ago for $450 delivered, with 90 day warranty (eBay). Cost when new: $3500

My oldest, a Dell Precision 450 dual Xeon (2005) runs everything I’ve installed on it, including Win 7… few ‘new’ machines can match it’s robust build quality. Bought it for $60 in 2010… price ‘new’ in 2005: $4000

20. janderson says:

New but related thread hijack.
    I installed Chrome just so I can see SRG.
    Bad thing is no player will start out of Chrome.
    They show up, but never connect.
    I can’t use IE for any player (business reasons).
    Opera, same thing, no player will connect.

Anyone getting any players to play?

21. janderson says:

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
    I am simply guy, I just installed chrome, and let SRG pop up whatever player comes with the link on the page.
    Now the player (iheart, or any of those other players) pop up, sometimes with a commercial, then silence. Doesn’t matter which station or program.

Now I use SRG to find the program/station i want to listen to, then go to the stations webpage and start the player. The part i don’t like is I have to use FF to do that (i un-installed FF after install of chrome, but had to re-install it so i could listen to any streaming).
    Same thing happened with Opera. I can’t find any setting in either browser that might cause this.

So the main thing is I used to use SRG to find the program and listen to the program.
    Now it’s a 2 step dance because of the FF thing.

Oh well, I guess it’s all fubar for me.

22. Smeggy says:

Get over it! Firefox is the browser I chose and it isn’t political.
    Chrome forces installation on the system drive. This is just your own flavor of censorship.

So it was ok to punish the Firefox guy for making public statements with his funds that most in the Firefox organization disagreed with and found reprehensible. What if instead of the public statement, he had made a private statement to his girlfriend and his girlfriend recorded it without his knowledge… and in fact had set him up and prompted him to make those statements when he was angry?

Wow. How did the traditional family values conservative right folks miss this one so completely. They had warned us about a slippery slope, the domino theory – once people are able to marry someone of the same sex, they will want to marry groups or people and also want to marry animals, but they never warned us about Mac lovers!?!

I remember back in my AOL days (1995ish) having a similar discussion. I eventually asked if it it was OK if someone wanted to marry their kitchen table and got a “I don’t see why not” response.