Beware Misleading download advertisements

This is more directed at radio stations than it is at visitors, but be alert this is going on.

Stations that use graphics ads from AdSense are going to be targeted with highly misleading advertisements

orly?

This happens to be for radio station KCHQ in Wyoming – I’m not singling them out, it just happens to be the most recent example.

This station does not stream its content, at least I don’t think so. The “Play Now” thing at the top has nothing to do with radio or this station – in small print it warns you this is a paid ad for freedailydownload.com which is going to install a thing called mplayer – mplayer is a freeware media player – that’s not really the bad part – it bundles up a bunch of spyware and search hijacking things – and when you’re all done if you’re silly enough to click “I Accept” and let it pillage through your system, you still won’t be able to listen to that station.

And don’t be stupid and click on the link because you don’t believe me and want to see if the stove is really hot.

This entry was posted in About the Guide, Radio Biz, Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Beware Misleading download advertisements

Killer. This may have happened to KNZZ, I cannot get it to play anymore.
    as a side note, I was sideswiped by the ‘Billy Ray Cyrus-Virus’ and had to re-format and re-install the OS one of my computers.
    Hate these dam virus punks creating this cheit !

So I am back, Baby !

BTW- First open Windows Media Player (or the even better free program VLC from videolan.org) and for Windows Media Player, do a CRTL-U to paste in that link. Enjoy.

• Parrott says:

Dude , Videolan is cool ! I thought I needed find Quicktime 7 to play a few stations, but this one covers those easily. I never knew about this.
          I like things with small footprints. This is great.
          Thanks CC ! I really appreciate it,
          Parrott

It is nice. You can make a playlist of your favorite stations and then easily select a favorite from your playlist. For example, a playlist of music streams, a playlist of sports streams, a playlist of talk radio streams, etc.

I love this site but don’t like to listen so much in browser windows, so I listen in the videolan app after I make my selection of the the show/station from here. I listen to the same half dozen stations 90% of the time.

Art-

Please remove my post above from May 31, 2013 at 9:51 am – I believe it may violate the “in plain site” rule you posted this morning.

I love the site and it was not my intention to violate any rules. Please accept my public apology.

CC

It’s not that big a deal – but I felt a need to stop it before people get carried away.

I almost never test the regular links for reasons I’ve explained before. I had noticed Liquidcompass changed their player (probably a few months ago). I did a mass change of close to 400 of them the other night and am rechecking them – about half are either on a different streaming provider or I defaulted to the wrong station on AM/FM combos

• Parrott says:

Yeah I wasn’t trying to Get CC in trouble. I just thought KNZZ got highjacked, since I couldn’t get their liquid compass to play anymore. I thought someone hacked them. Since all the Salem stations that have liquidcompass play just fine.
            Sorry about that.